1.16 | A Secret Passage

Hey, everyone! Will let you start reading in just a moment. Before that, I just to let you all know that we have crossed 3000 reads on this story! So I'd like to welcome all the new readers and express my gratitude to all those who have stuck with this story so far. Fun stuff to come! I'm going to be dedicating chapters, starting with this one, to the readers who take time to read, vote and comment on this story. Your feedback means a lot and makes me very happy!

This chapter is dedicated to pochoran and Elladia3 ❤️

-x-

A knock sounded on the door at ten seconds to five.

Professor Umbridge tipped precisely three teaspoons of sugar into the delicate China cup filled with honey-coloured tea. She stirred it slowly five times anticlockwise and glanced up at the clock ticking above the door.

When the second hand touched twelve, she taps the spoon on the rim of the cup, setting it on the saucer and calls sweetly, "Come in."

Margaret opened the door with a click and slipped inside, shutting it behind her calmly. She took a fleeting glance around the office but it was enough since everything was a shade of pink - crepe walls, fuchsia carpet, magenta curtains, a rose lamp. It looked like a pastel pallette had thrown up.

Not to mention, the cat portraits meowing on the middle of tiny plates that were hung on the walls beside the door as well as the wall behind Umbridge. Margaret didn't usually mind cats but their constant mewing was a nuisance already. She felt like she had entered a torture chamber.

Professor Umbridge sat on the mahogany desk in the centre of the room, sipping tea and staring at Margaret unblinkingly. It looked like she cleaned her dress, ridding the ink that had spilt on it. She sat down her cup with a clink and gestured towards a smaller desk and a cushioned stool on the side.

"Sit, dear. You're going to be doing some lines for me today," Umbridge says, a saccharine smile on her face. "You will find the required items on the table."

Margaret walked to the small desk wordlessly and took a seat, putting her bag on the side.

She'd stormed out of the class when the last bell had rung and had ignored Harry, Ron and Hermione the whole way, going to the viaduct courtyard for about twenty minutes to be alone before she had to return to see the toad again.

As expected, a long-nipped, raven-feathered quill with a golden grip, and a piece of parchment, was placed on the small table.

Margaret rubbed the unscarred skin on the back of her left hand and mentally apologised to it.

However, she had no regrets whatsoever that she had defended her friends and avoided Harry from getting another detention with this wretched witch. She wasn't doing this out of pity for Harry, but the loyalty and friendship that she had formed with the Trio.

When Umbridge didn't speak, Margaret realised that she was waiting for her to talk.

"You haven't given me any ink," Margaret says, acting oblivious as she picked up the quill.

Umbridge turned to her and blinked. "Oh, you won't need any ink, Miss Xenakis. Now, I would like you to write 'I must not believe liars' please."

Margaret gripped the golden handle tight in her palm and swallowed as a sinking feeling settled in her chest. She, of all people, knew very well that Harry was anything but a liar. And now these words would be scarred on her hand forever...