1.41 | The Centaur & To See

As the night fell and the blue hue of daylight lifted, the stars became visible behind the curtains of clouds in the sky. It was strange how a faraway aspect of something so unknown and something so vast as the universe could provide comfort when other prospects of life failed.

For Margaret, the solace was in the solitude. She had been hanging out in the entrance courtyard long before dinner had even started, watching the stars above and trying to find constellations to pass time.

Ever since she was young, she had always been referred to as half of a whole. Wherever she was, her brother was with her; they would never be found one without the other. Ever since he had gone, however, she had learnt to find comfort in the quiet. She had gone from hating the silence to craving it, simply because it was not filled by the one person she wanted.

Don't get her wrong, she loved the company of her friends.

They were a joy to be around whether they were all studying by the fire in the common room, having a D.A. meeting or simply trading Chocolate Frog cards in between study sessions, their company was that fitting to fill the silence around her. But sometimes she needed space to clear her mind.

"Miss Xenakis," a voice calls.

Snapping out of her daydream, she looked in the direction to see Dumbledore strolling out of the entrance hall, glancing up at the sky that she was watching a moment prior.

"Quite a misty evening," he comments.

"Yeah," she says softly. "Are you going to the centaurs?"

Dumbledore smiled as though he knew she would know. "And for a cup of tea at Hagrid's. Would you like to accompany me?"

Margaret was rather taken aback by the offer, rather puzzled. She thought about it quickly, then slowly shook her head.

"Er, sorry, Professor. I might have to pass on this one. I don't think the centaurs are going to be very happy, to begin with... Thank you, though."

"I see. Well, I better be off," says Dumbledore, ambling the rest of the way to the large oak gates. Just as Margaret thought he was going to leave, the Headmaster paused, turning his head to look at her from the corner of his eyes. "Margaret?"

"Yes?"

"Do remember, it does not do one well to dwell on dreams and forget to live..."

Margaret had heard that before, so her response was almost instant. "And if dreams feel real...?"

"The only thing which is real is what is now," says Dumbledore, gesturing leisurely around the courtyard in which she sat alone. "The only thing which is now is something you don't want to miss. Take it from an old man; we don't always remain young," he adds with a smile before the giant double doors opened wide for him and he walked out into the hazy night.

Margaret looked to the ground, sighing, as the enormous doors shut behind Dumbledore.

She had little to no motivation to do anything these days, not after that nightmare she had had at the beginning of March. It had been two weeks since then but the phantom sensation on her left arm appeared at random moments making a shiver run down her spine as the skin tingled.

The feeling was the same as having a bug suddenly sit on your face – you do not expect something like that and even after you slap it away, the strange sensation that it was still there lingered.

That was not the only thought plaguing her mind. Another one was that of Maximus Smith, the very new and very unfamiliar name that had come to light.