1.32 | The Start of Something New

This chapter is dedicated to TheRangerLife and AnnaPelger ❤️

-x-

The tearoom in St Mungo's was the most hospital-like canteen one could imagine.

Margaret had too much of an experience with being in the coffee-smelling, plastic-chaired, dully-lit place for her to feel any better than she did in the Janus Thickey ward. There was no one else there except for the bored-looking wizard behind the till.

She had asked if she could go get some coffee before they left, and so there she was. Quite honestly, she just needed to get away from the whole recap Ron was giving to his parents.

It was the third consecutive year she was in a hospital on Christmas day and she had found herself near death once again. She didn't know if the thought made her want to laugh in disbelief or burst into tears.

The coffee cup in her hand was scorching, but she didn't flinch away from it. She seemed to welcome the pain. She looked down at it in thought for barely a second before being crashed back into reality when a girl screamed at the wizard behind the till.

"What do you mean you've run out of coffee, you stinking turnip!"

The boy sighs, "Listen, you can call me all the things you like but we've run out of coffee. The visiting hours end in fifteen, it's Christmas-"

"I don't care what it is!" she shrieks, making Margaret cringe. "Sickness doesn't care if it's Christmas or not, so neither should coffee! If you want to keep your job, do as I fucking say or I swear to Merlin I will get you fired."

The barista did not look at all bothered. He seemed far too used to this for his own good.

"Miss Greengrass, why don't you have tea just for today? Maybe a cup o' hot cocoa?"

Margaret straightened in her seat, now noticing the unmistakable straight blonde hair tied into a loose braid over the girl's shoulders.

"Tea?!" she screams again, sounding rather distraught as she throws her hands in the air. "You- You know what? I think I'm just going to get you fired...!"

"Miss Greengrass-"

"No, nope; you think you're so lucky just... being here... leading a normal life," she mumbles incoherently, choking back a sob. "I'm going to get you fired, you filthy Mudblood!"

The boy looked even more sympathetic now as she turned on her heel and stormed out of the tearoom, not noticing the other figure in the room.

Margaret shot a bewildered look at him when she caught his eye. He shrugged in response.

"People tend to take out their stress on baristas," he says with a half-smile, "especially if he's a muggle-born."

Glancing down at her coffee that she had not taken a sip from yet, and she sighed, making her decision.

"Well, purebloods are overrated anyway," she tells him. He raised an eyebrow at this, looking somewhat amused. She noticed now that he looked rather young, only a year or two older than her; and if she was being honest, he was kind of attractive.

She shook her head with a small smirk and walked out of the place.

He was cute and if she had met him back in her world, she would have flirted until she got his number. If she was bored one Friday night, she would text him and would agree to go out with him the next day if he asked. If their conversation had not interested her, however, she would block his number. It was a simple game.