1.25 | Known and Unknown

The highlands of Scotland were coated in a blanket of snow no more than two days later as the week began once again.

The owls swooped in with packages and letters as well as those with Daily Prophet, shivering as they shook their feathers and dropped snow and droplets of water over the students sat eating breakfast.

Unlike the barn owls that looked like brown icicles, the handsome eagle owl caught the attention of several students before it descended gracefully on the Slytherin table.

"Aha! I was wondering whether mother had forgotten about these," Draco Malfoy says, a satisfied smirk twisting up his lips as he abandoned his breakfast and untied the parcel and two letters. The owl ruffled its feathers proudly once free of the weight and took off.

However, the condition of the packaging and the envelops suggested one thing and Draco's smirk dropped at once.

"Oooh, someone's mail has been checked," Pansy Parkinson points out teasingly from his right as she opened her own perfectly wrapped parcel. Theodore Nott smirked at her, finding her amusing, whilst Blaise Zabini sipped on his coffee wordlessly. Daphne, who was sitting next to Pansy, had her eyes glued to the Gryffindor table again.

"How dare they - it's got to be Filch, that filthy squib. I'm going to speak about this to the High Inquisitor first thing after breakfast," Draco snarls under his breath, now tearing apart the packaging haphazardly. His smirk that was gone returned to his face once again. "It's calisson, freshly imported from France. I love these..."

Opening up the cream box, hiding it away on his lap from the hungry eyes of Crabbe and Goyle, he took a bite and made a show of chewing and moaning appreciatively, making sure everyone in the vicinity knew he had been, once again, sent the best parcel from home.

"So good... So very good," he says, wiping his mouth with a napkin. Holding out the box to Blaise, he offers him some, "Here, want one?"

Blaise shook his head and gestured at his mug of coffee, barely suppressing a knowing smile. Draco shrugged, shifting the box to Theo, who reached forward to take one of the royal candies but before his fingers could even brush the air above them, Draco pulled it away.

"Nah, I change my mind. More for me," he smirks as Theo scowled and Pansy burst into a shriek of laughter. "Very well, then. Let's see..."

The first letter was ripped open in a similar fashion, summarised aloud by Draco as it was small and from his mother who had written on the behalf of his father as well.

"She says father's busy in a classified task with the Ministry," Draco tells his friends conspiringly, an air of such importance around him that even Blaise seemed to have abandoned his coffee to lean forward and listen to him. "The Minister of Magic is very pleased. I reckon he's been giving more donation... I can't be sure, but he's nominated for Order of Merlin, Third Class, this year too. I personally think he deserves first, but father's always said he'd likely have all three before he turns fifty."

Crabbe and Goyle hung onto Draco's every word, looking deeply impressed, whilst Theo and Blaise exchanged looks that gave nothing away. Pansy added to the praises of Lucius Malfoy, turning to Daphne, who nodded without listening.

For what it was worth, Draco Malfoy did not tell his friends what the PS had stated, a clear reply to the letter he had sent specifically to his mother. He glanced down at it one more time before he folded up the letter and stuffed it back into the envelope.

𝓟𝓢: 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓹𝓻𝓪𝓷𝓴 𝓸𝓯 𝓫𝓵𝓸𝓸𝓭 𝓯𝓵𝓪𝓿𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓼𝓾𝓰𝓪𝓻 𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓵𝓵𝓼 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓼𝓸𝓷𝓼 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓼𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓬𝓮 𝓹𝓪𝓻𝓬𝓮𝓵𝓼 𝓼𝓮𝓷𝓽 𝓫𝓪𝓬𝓴 𝓽𝓸 𝔂𝓸𝓾. 𝐹𝑜𝓇𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝓂𝑒, 𝐼'𝓋𝑒 𝓇𝓊𝓃 𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝑜𝒻 𝒾𝓃𝓀.