Chapter Nine

Lyra had disliked Severus Snape for as long as she could remember. He was always hanging around her friends and people she grew up with, but he always became so annoyed and angry at the world, and the relatively joyful teenage Lyra did not have time for those shenanigans. 

Things had not changed. He was always hanging around her husband, glaring at her because of her former relationship to the four boys that once ruled the halls of the school. He whispered in Lucius's ears, adding to whatever anger he felt towards her. Let's just say he didn't make their marriage any better. 

But Lyra knew that they were screwed as he threw off that Invisiblity Cloak (she was sure James was rolling over in grave because of that greasy git using his beloved cloak), because he had a dangerous grudge that was still to end, and a quick connection to Lucius, who was capable of horrible things to keep control of his family. Sirius, though unaware he was the reason for his imprisonment, would know. 

Hermione straight up screamed once he showed his face while Sirius jumped to his feet again. Harry also jumped, but rather comically where he stood. Lyra felt her breath hitch in her throat, nervous. 

"I found this at the base of the Whomping Willow," said Snape, throwing the Cloak on the dirty ground next to him, though keeping his wand pointed right at Remus. "Very useful, Potter. I thank you."

Lyra carefully moved to stand closer to the teenager, worried as she saw the maddened look on Snape's face. She wasn't sure what he was capable of. Harry glanced at her, looking a bit thankful for her protection. 

"You're wondering, perhaps, how I knew you were here?" Snape asked, though slightly out of breath. "I've just been to your office, Lupin. You forgot to take your potion tonight, so I brought a gobletful along. And very lucky I did... lucky for me, I mean. Lying on your desk was a certain map. One glance at it told me all I needed to know. I saw you and Black running along this passageway and out of sight."

Lyra frowned at the mention of Black, thinking Sirius hadn't been running with them, but she had. Then she quickly remembered that he had refused to call her by her married name since her wedding (where he was unfortunately invited). "It's Malfoy, actually."

"It never should have been!" Snape hissed, always having been pissed off that Lucius didn't listen to his advice, when he had told her to stay as far away from Lyra Black as he could. Not to ask her to marry him. 

"That's the one thing we can both agree on," the blonde said coolly, glancing reassuringly at Harry, who still seemed a strange mix of anger, fright and confusion.

Remus didn't like how the attention had gone to Lyra, now knowing that her husband was capable of such horrible things against her and the ones she loved. He didn't want her to get hurt. "Severus-"

Snape's eyes gleamed as if Christmas had come early. "I've told the Headmaster again and again that you've been helping your old friend Black into the castle, Lupin, and here's the proof. Not even I dreamed you would have the nerve to use this old place as your hideout."

"Severus, you're making a mistake," said Remus, looking quite stressed at how things seemed to be turning out that night. "You haven't heard everything. I can explain. Sirius is not here to kill Harry."

"He doesn't care about Harry," Lyra spoke up, a mean glare on her face as she looked at the Potions Professor. "He just cares that he found us all here and can get us in trouble. Nothing's changed, has it, Snape?"

"I've told Lucius again and again that you're no good. That he should throw you out on the streets where you belong. Always thinking you were better than everyone because you were dating Potter," said Snape bitterly, his glare every bit as mean as hers. "I wonder how Lucius will feel that you're here. I knew you were the one who broke him out of Azkaban."