Chapter Forty-Nine

Things were tense around Malfoy Manor for a while, which was to be expected. Rabastan had not showed his face, at least, which pleased Lyra. He must have known that if he dared show his face, she'd follow through with the threats she'd made the last time she'd seen him. 

Lucius hadn't spoken to her in days. He wouldn't even look at her, and she wasn't sure how she could ever find a way to make him do so. She could make him understand, she hoped. He needed time to cool down, just like every time they'd fought over the years. Then again, this fight was different. 

The Death Eaters didn't comment on anything, no matter how much they hung around the house. She didn't know why. Perhaps they thought it would be unwise to mention it to her, as they were all terrified of Bellatrix and she was still her sister. Or maybe they were afraid Lucius would once again be in the Dark Lord's favor before long. 

It was the first time in the while the Manor had been completely empty. No Death Eaters, no family members. Nothing. Only Lyra on her own as there was supposedly some big mission everyone else had to go to. She supposed they must finally have gotten to the point where they'd take over the Ministry. The thought made her sick. 

Lyra found herself standing in front of one of the mirrors in the parlor. Her skin was waxy and pale, as she had barely stepped outside in a while. The bruises around her neck had only gotten worse, with horrid shades of blue, purple and black in the shape of a handprint. She barely touched it before wincing. At least she could almost speak normally now, though her voice was still slightly raspy. 

"Lyra, what happened? Are you all right?" a high, feminine voice asked from behind her. Lyra recognized Narcissa's voice immediately. She rushed towards her, seeing her for the first time in the past few days. 

Lyra was a bit touched by her concern as she forced a smile, pulling her collar up in attempt to cover up the bruises, though it was clearly unsuccessful. "I'm fine, Cissy. It's nothing... Just a stupid mistake."

"It looks like a hand," Narcissa said, shocked. She grabbed Lyra's collar, forcing it down to see the full extent of it. She tensed, touching it but quickly recoiling as she saw her sister wince in pain. "Lyra, what happened?"

"Nothing-"

"Don't lie to me," the older blonde said firmly, her face filled with concern. She had never seen those kinds of marks on Lyra before. The only time she had ever been so bruised was the time she'd had the Cruciatus Curse cast on her, but then it hadn't been in such a visible place. "Did Lucius do this to you?"

"No, no, of course not," the younger sister defended her husband, though she wasn't sure if he'd care enough to appreciate it. Honestly, Lyra was a bit surprised she was willing to believe Lucius could do something like this. "Lucius may not be perfect but he'd never do something like this."

Narcissa tensed even more if it was even possible as she made the connection. People usually did severely underestimate just how smart she truly was. "I'm going to ask you a question and you're going to be honest with me. Please. Did Rabastan do this to you?"

Lyra swallowed harshly, once again wanting to lie. But she had decided to stop lying so much (unless it would possibly kill her or anybody she cared about), and though she knew the pained look in her eyes told the truth, she had to say it. "Yes. I ended it. He obviously didn't take it very well."

"I'm so sorry," Narcissa said softly, grabbing her little sister's hand and rubbing her knuckles comfortingly. Lyra had spent so many years trying to hide her emotions from her, not having trusted her properly for so long. But she could see her failing a bit at that moment, tears almost appearing in her eyes. "You didn't deserve that."