Chapter Thirty-Four

Twelve Grimmauld Place was usually filled with an air of sadness, one which made the air feel heavy and all the colors, no matter how bright, would all seem dull. It was a place that truly could drain even the most alive person of light. 

Yet, Sirius Black, a man who had more light in him than most in his youth had managed to stay there for almost a year and could still find reasons to smile. Then again, if he could survive Azkaban without losing his mind, he could survive his childhood home. Though he wasn't sure which one was the worse hell. 

But, though he had been imprisoned in both of his hells, at Grimmauld Place he wasn't always alone. Of course, there were moments when the loneliness snuck up on him. Especially at night, when he found himself missing his youth and his best friend, who had been gone for too long. 

But then daylight shone through the windows. People, heroes, would start streaming into the house, which was the headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix. And then a smile would appear on his face. Perhaps it would even stay there for a few hours. 

Then the sun set, as it always did. The people would leave and go back to their own homes for the night. And Sirius, and his loneliness, was left alone once again. That first hour alone was always the worst. It reminded him a bit of Azkaban.

But sometimes they stayed. It was only for a while and it was usually the same people, but Sirius was happy it was them. If he could choose any people to spend his time with it would be Remus and Lyra (or Harry but he was at Hogwarts, or James but he was dead.)

They stuck around when they could. They'd do different things. Just hang out, play a few board games, reminisce about the old days or drink so much Firewhiskey that they could barely walk (and Remus would always puke all over the floor). 

They found themselves sitting in the kitchen, by the large fireplace, as they all laughed about some story from back in the day. Lyra could barely keep up with which one they were telling, but she enjoyed them all just as much. 

She was leaning her chin in her hand, watching fondly as Sirius and Remus laughed loudly about something, though surprisingly not drunk. Remus had put his foot down and said he was not in the mood to vomit again. It was getting tiring for a man closing in on his forties. 

"What are your plans for the weekend then?" Sirius asked, though looking jealous at the freedom his companions had. He had been missing that freedom for over a decade. 

"Well, I have a job interview on Friday, but other than that it's going to be all Order business," Remus revealed, shrugging nonchalantly. "And, of course, I was hoping to get to spend more time here with you two."

"You've gotten an interview?" Lyra repeated, smiling brightly at him, though not answering Sirius's question. "Where? What kind of job? Do you want me to write you some recommendation? I can be quite persuasive."

The werewolf smiled slightly. "I'm sure you can. It's for a bookstore over in Kent. I'm probably not going to get it, even if you help me. I haven't been able to keep a job in two years and I owe it all to one problem."

"A furry little problem, if you will," Sirius added jokingly, trying to lighten the mood a bit. It didn't work and he only got mean looks from both Remus and Lyra, though they didn't seem angry as much as they were annoyed. 

Lyra smiled apologetically at Remus after a quick moment of glaring at Sirius. It was almost scary how quickly her face could change its expression entirely. "I'm sorry, Remus. I wish there was something I could do."

"Don't worry about it. I've got food and shelter here if I want it. Right, Padfoot?" Remus asked his old friend, raising an eyebrow at him lightheartedly, though it was quite obvious he only did so not to worry Lyra.