Chapter Fifty-One

The auburn wig was once again on her head, though most of it was hidden by the hood of her cloak. Lyra was even more on edge than usual as she approached the small house, both in case she was being followed and because she was worried she wouldn't be welcome at her destination, considering the last time she had been there. 

Lyra Malfoy glanced over her shoulder yet another time before she knocked on the door of her sister's house. She had seen some people who would have loved to catch her there, and she needed to be sure they hadn't seen her. It would put many people at risk, but she had to go there, she had to see them. 

The door opened, and none of the usual residents of the house was behind it. Remus Lupin, looking tired, stood there, and did not look surprised to see her there. He smiled fondly. "Back again, Cassie?"

"You know it, Moony," she responded, her lips tugging up at the mention of the nickname, which was more of a joke than an actual codename. She looked behind him, but could not see anyone there. "Could I come in?"

"Come here first." And Remus did not hesitate to pull Lyra deep into his arms, and she leaned her head against his chest, taking in the way his chest rose and fell, reminding him that he was still alive and breathing. The reminder didn't hurt these days. "It's good to see you. They'll be happy you're here."

After a quick moment of taking one another in, Remus pulled away from their embrace and moved out of the way, allowing her to take a step into the Tonks' house with a grateful smile. She tried to ignore the memories of the last time she'd been there. There were also happy memories that had been made there, she reminded herself. She shouldn't only think of the bad ones.

The family was sitting in the living room, all of them huddled together as if they had been deep in some sort of discussion. They had their eyes trained on the room's entrance, waiting for whoever it was that had knocked. 

Andromeda sighed in relief as she saw her younger sister enter, standing in front of her. Lyra looked rather nervous, as if she didn't think she'd be happy to see her. Andromeda seemed more than happy, though, rushing over to wrap her arms around her. "Lyra, oh thank Merlin, you're alright!"

Lyra was shocked that her sister was so willing to see her after what had happened last time. Another time she'd watched her be tortured and had been frozen into place. "Me? I'm the one who's been worried about you for over a month. I'm sorry I didn't come sooner..."

"I understand, it can't be easy for you to leave your home nowadays," the brunette said softly, though tensing up as she remembered what had happened a bare month ago. She pulled away, smiling slightly at her. "I'm just glad you came at all."

Ted got up from his seat on the sofa and Lyra felt the guilt even stronger. But he didn't seem to care, just like his wife hadn't. He pulled her into a brotherly hug of his own. Lyra was thankful to feel his chest rise and fall, too. "I'm glad you're here, too, Lyra."

Lyra couldn't believe she had been there when Ted had felt the Torture Curse for the first time, only because he had been born to muggles, because him and Andromeda had fallen in love.  "Oh, Ted, I'm so sorry. I wish I could have-"

"Don't go blaming yourself, Lyra," the older man told her sternly, letting go of her to grab his wife's hand. They seemed quite happy to feel each other's skin, a reminder that they were safe and together. "This was Bellatrix's fault, you stopped her, you made her leave before things could get even worse."

Andromeda leaned her head against Ted's shoulder, holding his hand so tightly her fingers were turning white as she was forced to remember the pain of watching the man she loved be tortured. "She would have killed Ted if you weren't there. I will forever be grateful to you for that."