Chapter Eleven

Lyra could barely hear a bit of muttering as she woke up. For a few moments, she wondered whether she had been transported back several years in the past. Why else would she find herself in the Hospital Wing of Hogwarts?

Once she opened her eyes, she quickly sat up. She felt the back of her head as she remembered what had happened. Remus had transformed, and she had tried to keep him from attacking the children. The children, she suddenly remembered.

She glanced around the Hospital Wing, quickly catching sight of Ron's red hair. In the beds next to his, she saw two other heads of hair, both dark and messy. They all seemed to be sleeping soundly.

She sighed in relief as she realized she had was no longer bleeding. Madam Pomfrey had to have fixed her up quite nicely. She had always been a talented healer, even back in her own school days. She had been friends with James, Sirius and Remus, after all. They'd all found themselves in her care more than a few times.

She focused her ears on the muttering she had heard as she pulled herself off the bed. She felt as good as new, thankfully. No pain or soreness at all. It made it much easier to recognize the voices of Severus Snape and Cornelius Fudge.

"Extraordinary," she could hear Fudge say quite proudly. Lyra hadn't ever heard the Minister sound quite so happy as he did in that moment. "And yet Black, and Harry, and Lyra and the girl..."

"All unconscious by the time I reached them. I bound and gagged Black, naturally, conjured stretchers and brought them straight back to the castle," Snape beamed, sounding like he was having the best day of his life as Lyra approached the door to outside the Hospital Wing. Him being happy made her more and more worried for Sirius and Remus.

"Minister?" asked Lyra hesitantly, poking her head through the door. Snape stiffened the moment he heard her voice, turning to raise his eyebrows at her, as if to tell her he had ended up winning.

"Lyra, how wonderful that you're awake!" exclaimed Fudge, reaching out to shake her hand in a friendly manner. "Severus here was just telling me of everything that's happened tonight. What a horrid ordeal you've had to go through."

The blonde tried to stay calm, because she didn't want to seem like she was going crazy and wasn't to be trusted. "I'd actually like to talk to you about what's been happening. I feel like Severus here has probably left out a few details."

"Not to worry," the Minister waved her off, making her clench her jaw. "He has told me every detail of the night. I know all about Sirius Black trying to convince you and those poor children of his innocence, seeming to be willing to force it upon you. I feel especially sad for you. He's your cousin, isn't he?"

"Yes, he is," Lyra confirmed quickly, trying to subdue her temper. "But he wasn't trying to convince us of anything that wasn't true. Sirius Black is an innocent man! I am completely sure of it."

"See, it's like I told you, Minister," Snape spoke up, barely sending her a smug glace before continuing. "She has these strange delusions. She's been having them for years. I'm quite close with the Malfoy family, I've heard them many times.

"I'll show you delusions-" Lyra hissed through her gritted teeth. She hated Snape more and more every time she had to see his face. She hated him and that personal grudge he'd held against her and those she loved.

"Lyra, please," the Minister sighed, though surprised at her temper. "I know the Malfoy family well, Snape. I've never heard anything about any delusions. This must be the work of a Confundus charm. Lyra would never believe such nonsense."

"It's not nonsense!" she exclaimed. She'd been the only one to believe in his innocence for the past almost thirteen years. It was time that somebody else found out. "I know Sirius like the back of my hand! He'd never betray the likes of James and Lily. It was Peter Pettigrew!"