Prologue

Angel lifted herself off the ground, wincing at the pain that coursed through her body.

She didn't know how long she had lain there on the cold floor, but judging by the darkness in the room, it was still evening.

Making her way quietly and slowly upstairs, she reached the attic, which housed her small room.

Locking the door behind her, she made her way to the vanity, gazing at the small broken mirror, wincing again at the image that stared back at her.

Her brother had really done a number this time on her face.

Reaching for a tattered washcloth, she dipped it into the bowl, filled with cold water, her only means of keeping herself clean.

Painstakingly wiping the grime and blood off her face. Then removing the rest of her clothes, to clean her aching body and too apply ointment.

Her body battered and bruised, there wasn't one spot he hadn't missed, thank goodness, that she was a werewolf. Otherwise, she would not have been standing.

Slipping on a thin cotton t-shirt and tying her long blonde hair into a ponytail.

She moved over to the small window, gazing up at the full moon, silent tears brimming in her eyes.

"Moon Goddess, please...I need you. I can't take this anymore. Every time it gets harder to get up and face another day." She prayed for a miracle, silently hoping that her nightmare would end.

Tiredly she made her way to the makeshift bed on the floor, consisting of an old mattress and thin blanket.

Laying down, trying to find a comfortable position, she forced herself to sleep, knowing she had probably only two hours at the most to rest, before she had to get up, prepare breakfast and do her duties.