2 Detective

Claire sighed as her hair floats around her, shrouding her in gold. No matter how many times I see it, I’ll never get used to it. She leans back relaxing as she stares at the Penguin Nebula. It was the most beautiful sight she’s ever seen and was her most favorite spot. Whenever she had a run to do in space she always made sure to stop and take in the view, mainly the Nebula. Claire lost herself as she stared into the star nursery when her wrist began to beep. The silence shattered, Claire glared at her beckoning “FP” tattoo and jerked her hand open, answering the call. 

        “Where the hell are you?” 

        It was Abby, her Handler, “You know where I am.” 

        Claire stared as the mini hologram version of Abby within the palm of her hand crosses her arms in irritation, “I mean why haven’t you come back yet? Did you get the supplies?” 

        Being a Handler was hard work, or so they say. Many Handlers were Humans or Mages with little to no magic. They worked for the Guild and gave their assigned Mages their work assignments but also monitored their magic. If a Mage was using magic in the wrong way, for the wrong reasons, it’s up to the Handler to let the higher ups know so appropriate action could be taken. In Claire’s opinion Handlers are nothing more than people spying on them, watching their every move, nick picking everything they do and nagging them about every job to be done. But Claire is lucky, she’ll admit that. She and Abby became fast friends and have a strong friendship. Abby’s Human but she’s never judged Claire and even stood by her side when Claire was put on trial for the “unlawful use of magic” at that construction site five years ago. Abby felt responsible for she accepted the assignment and gave it to Claire and no matter what Claire said, it wasn’t her fault. 

        Claire’s job this time was to collect precious metal supplies from asteroids in space, and she does tend to lag behind heading home. “Yes I’ve got them. Can’t I enjoy the view? It doesn’t get any better than this.” 

        Claire gestured to the Nebula behind holo Abby but she barely moved, “Hurry up. Boss wants to see you.” 

        Claire raised her eyebrow, perplexed, “Really? Why?” 

        “I don’t know!” Abby was clearly irate today, “He just said to get you in his office ASAP.” 

        Abby began to mutter about the piles of paperwork forever on her desk as the holo flicked off. Claire began to wonder what this could be about as she took one last look at the Nebula and headed home. Quick as a flash she flew through space at warp drive and was in Earth’s solar system within minutes. In another blink she was flaming through the atmosphere and made her way to the processing plant. Once there the workers directed her to the unloading area and she opened a hole into her special dimension and dumped all the supplies she collected. All the workers came out to see the show and were soon clapping and cheering at all the new stocks. This was one of the few perks of Mage work. There are times where, you do do good. 

        Some John Hancock's later and Claire steps out into the parking lot holding out her left wrist. She jerks open her hand again much like before and a holo Fairy appears smiling a pleasant secretary smile, “Destination please.” 

        “Master Melvin’s office.” 

        “Code?” 

        “07032812.” 

        “Code accepted. Please wait as the port is opened.” 

        The holo flicked off and Claire stood there patiently as magic began to hum around her. Before she could start tapping her foot the portal opened above her head and sucked her in much like a vacuum and blinked out with a flash of light. Claire held her breathe as her body was stretch and bent, going all kinds of twists and turns until finally her feet met solid ground. She found herself in Melvin’s lobby with his secretary, Doris, clacking away at the keys.