3 Failure

The door crashes open as Claire stomps into the room. She flops onto the couch of Abby’s office and moans as she muffles her screams of frustration. Abby, unmoved by the theatrics, gets up and closes the door, plopping herself back into her chair all the while reading the sheets in her hands. Abby’s quite used to Claire storming into her office to rant or vent but this time seems to be serious. Finally Claire falls silent and Abby takes this chance to cross some t’s and dot some i’s. Claire says nothing as Abby straightens up her desk and with all the papers put away Abby swirls in her chair to face Claire. 

        “So…?” 

        Claire turns her head, poking her eye out to see Abby patiently waiting. Abby was a beautiful woman, with midnight black hair forever in a bun on top of her head but when she lets it down, it’s nothing but silk curls to her shoulders. She wears thick librarian glasses attached to a chain around her neck and wears simple gray and black suits. Suits weren’t required for Handlers or any other Guild workers, but Abby likes order. As Claire was looking Abby over she begun to tap her finger on the desk and raised her eyebrow as her patient grew thin. 

        “Well…?” 

        Claire sighs as she shifts into a more comfortable position lying on the couch, “Do you know anything about this new Task Force they’re putting together?” 

        Abby blinks in surprise as she taps her fingernail on her teeth, a tell of hers, “Yeah I’ve heard rumors. Are they putting you on it?” 

        “Yes!” 

        There was a moment of silence as Abby glanced Claire over, “Then I weep for the world.” 

        She twirls to her desk, shuffling more papers as Claire moans, sitting up, “Abby! You knew about this?” 

        From Abby’s back Claire hears, “No not really. I just knew the idea was going around and if it was true you would make a good guinea pig.” 

        “Exactly!” Claire springs up and walks around Abby’s desk facing her, “They want me to be a guinea pig! A guinea pig! How could they do that?!” 

        “I’m sure they explained it to you.” 

        “Well yeah,” Claire plops down on a chair against the wall, “I’m one of the few mages with the Free-Pass license and Melvin believes in me, but I know nothing of police work. How can I be of any help if I can’t solve a case?” 

        “See your already talking like a badge.” Abby looks up and smiles as Claire gives her a glare. Laughing Abby gives Claire her full attention as she tries to sooth her friend, “Claire, your perfect for the job. You really are. Not only are you one of the most powerful mage of your time but you observe everything and watch everything. It still amazes me how much you know and how you can glean things you shouldn’t know. I don’t know what you’re so worried about. This has to do with something else other than the job doesn’t it?” 

        Claire slowly looks down at her hands as she admits her fears, “I’m insecure Abby. I know you never did but there are humans out there that judge mages like me at first glance. I’m worried…scared that they’ll judge me so much…that we can’t get anything done. I have a real chance to save lives and make a difference here. Can you image how this’ll help our worlds to understand each other? I just…can feel that weight and frankly it scares the hell out of me.” 

        Abby sighed as she saw her friend start to crumble in her chair. She got up and went to Claire, embracing her in a big hug as comforting as she could get. Soon enough both women were laughing as Claire brushed away small tears. Abby sat in the chair next to her and grabbed her hands, “Don’t worry so much. That’s not the Claire I know. Besides, if they can see you like I can, they’ll love you!”