Chapter 7-Alateca (The Magic Crisis Part 1)

(SORRY FOR THE LONG BREAK THERE-MY SCHOOL SENT SO MUCH STUFF BACK TO US FOR WORK AND I FINALLY GOT CAUGHT UP WITH IT! ASIDE FROM THAT THIS IS JUST A LITTLE THING EXPLAINING THAT THE MAGIC CRISIS PARTS ARE GOING TO BE THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE BOOK AND ARE CRUCIAL TO THIS STORY PLOT! SO IF YOU SEE ONE FIVE CHAPTERS LATER THAT SAYS PART 2 BE AWARE THAT'S HOW I WROTE IT!)

I stood and helped her down from the shelves with a stupid nervous smile on my face. Quickly I apologized for disobeying her orders, and I spent no time in explaining that I heard her scream and decided to help. I told her how the library spoke to me and how I seemed to have gotten lost. I made sure to tell her everything as we walked outside of the library... except that man. That was just... an off experience, something I couldn't bring up again.

"Well you're lucky Tristian," Lady Grandma said with slight annoyance in her voice, "Many who aren't welcomed in by the Royal Family, who aren't worthy of the knowledge in the library get lost."

"So does that mean I was worthy of its knowledge?" I asked, Rhal running up to our side.

"I'm not sure," She answered directly, "Possibly something in your history could be why you lasted how long you did without getting consumed in knowledge." I nodded and turned to Rhal. Slowing my pace to allow him to speak to Lady Grandma. I stopped completely when I looked at the single book she had given me. It wasn't ancient. It wasn't covered in dust. It wasn't bound together with a string. It was a regular brown leather book with a single emerald in the center. This is... familiar... The emerald... it was familiar... in more ways than one. I turned and looked back from Lady Grandma and Rhal, then back to the book. With a single nod, I turned on my heel and ran back towards the library, taking a right instead of a left down the hallway it connected to.

"Rhys!" I called out, "Rhys I need you!" I didn't get Rhys, instead, Pierce joined at my side, frightened. "Pierce! You startled me. Is everything okay?"

"Why are you down here?" He asked, his eyes full of concern, "Lady Grandma is supposed to be keeping an eye on you." He grabbed my hand and tried to pull me back towards where I just came from. Hearing Lady Grandma calling out for me as her footsteps neared.

"Pierce no," I said and shoved him back behind large banners. We fell through the wall and began on a quick descend downwards. I clutched the book tight in my hands as Pierce pulled me into his arms, but suddenly, the falling stopped. Pierce stood, holding me still in his arms as we looked about this dark location. We couldn't see anything. "Where, are we?" I asked and listen to the echo of my voice.

"I'm... not sure," He said, more concern in his voice than ever, "I've never seen this part of the castle before." I pulled away from him for merely a minute before I had heard another voice.

"Oh, you guys fell down here too?" It echoed. I turned and to my surprise saw Noi standing behind Pierce. "His Majesty brought me here. Said he wanted me to see something important."

"H-His... Majesty? He told you that?" Pierce asked with shock. Emotions, who knew they were his thing.

"Noi," I said and took a step, into a puddle. I picked my shoe up, just enough to see what was on it. "This is blood..." Run. Is all my mind told me to do. "We have to go, now!" Suddenly light poured in as a large creature with sharp fangs stalked into the room. It was... hideous. I took a few steps back, clutching the book tighter in my hands as I scanned it over. Cuts, bruises, even weapon ends came out of it's hide.

"Alateca," Pierce muttered as it crept closer towards me. My body began shaking, my eyes widened with fear, then suddenly, with an ear-piercing scream, we were out. Each of us now knelt in the only thing I could believe to be the courtyard, covered in purple goo and my shoes, in pure blood. "We're... alive...?"

"I killed it," Noi said quietly, "I made a promise, to Ava, to Tris, and to myself that I would get stronger. I don't want anything to hurt my friends anymore." I stood and wiped the goo from my face. Alateca, it was... a monster...

"You didn't kill it," I muttered, as if I wasn't in control, "It will be back. And when it comes back, not even the awoken spirit inside will be able to stop it." I dropped to the ground holding my head soon after, the book dropping from my hands as Pierce and Noi came to my aid yet again. "Ugh, my head..."

"Let's get her to rest," Pierce ordered as the two grabbed me, and my book, bringing me back to my chambers. I was left alone again, only to know that my new book had my answers.

Hopefully.

Using all the strength I had, I forced myself to stand opened the book to the first page.

To my Nata.

Alateca... is a thief.