Chapter 12-Outside The Walls

The wind was cold, blasting through my hair as I was set down just outside the wall. The trees were colored with blue leaves and the animals were colored differently than they were back on Earth. What appeared to be rabbits were colored green, appearances of deers were purple, and the water... floated...

"Wow..." I said as I reached a hand up to brush it against the leaves. They glowed in the dark. "Beautiful."

"Yes," Pierce said. I smiled and looked at the river.

"I've got the map," Rhys said and ran it over to me, Leif following.

"The closet way outside the Kingdom takes three days. This way," Leif said as he pointed North-East up the map. I shook my head and pointed to the river, which went North-West.

"We follow the river," I said and handed the map back to Rhys, starting off in a sprint towards the river.

"But that's going to take five days," Leif said as they ran up to my side, "It's faster to go that way."

"And then what?" I said and take the map back from Rhys, "We hike across this intense mountain terrain to the end of this river? That would take us a minimum of seven days."

"She isn't wrong," Asch said, "We'll head along the river until day break-but if we don't go now, we'll be spotted soon." I nodded and stuffed Rhys' map in his bag. Leading off down the river, watching as the glowing water flowed beside us. Actual rainbowfishes and silver fishes swimming through its stream. This was magic.

We made it about five miles by the time day broke over the horizon. Noi was riding over Pierce's back and many of us were tired of a simple walk, but I couldn't stop. I had to keep going. I had to... The blood had gone through the second set of bandages now, and if I didn't keep going I'd never go again.

"Tristian," Noi said as Pierce set him down. He ran up to me and grabbed my shoulders, "Tris!" He shouted, his hand pressing gently to the back of my neck. "Guys she's hurt!" I jerked away from him, fumbling to the floor.

"I'm fine," I said with a heavy and strained voice, "I just have to keep moving..."

"TRISTIAN STOP!" Noi shrieked, and I did. I rolled onto my back with a heavy breath and stared at him, at all of them. "You always do this... You're so intended on helping people you'd go forward even if you knew you couldn't make it... Please... we'll set up camp and rest..." I nodded as he gently took my bag off my back and kept me on the ground.

"I'll keep an eye on her," Leif said as the others went into the woods a bit to set up a small camp.

"Tell them no fire," I whispered.

"No fire!" Leif shouted to them, then turned back to me, "You and Ava really are sisters... Ava would've done this to ya know?" I smiled a bit.

"I know," I replied softly, "But this is just my tattoo... it's activating again..." His eyes widened as he knelt to my side. Concern all over his face. "I think it's my Dragon form..."

"Does it hurt?" He asked.

"A little..." I said simply, "But I'll live... the pain is dying down..." He steadied a bit, sitting beside me and resting my head on his lap.

"Rest will help..." He said as he watched the water, "It will help..." I stayed silent and watched him with an observant eye. He's changed in some way. He's more trusting than he was, calmer, not as kill-crazy, and he likes people now... But, he seems... afraid now... "What do you hope to find at that house?"

"Memories..." I stated, almost before he finished his sentence, "I remember people... things... around that house, about that house... the people there. I've been having dreams about them... Noi was in the one I had the other night... Rhal and Asch were in one I had back on Earth... Bliss was in one of the first nights you guys arrived..."

"And you never told anyone?" Leif asked.

"I thought they were just dreams... pointless things..." I said as I reached a hand down to my blood-soaked leg. "I'm going to tell you guys... but I need them all first... And I know there's still a place for you, Pierce, even Rhys... there has to be one for all of you..."

"Do you think any of this is a coincidence?" He asked as Pierce came over and helped pick me up, "Or do you think this is all part of Dominick's Plan?" I didn't want to answer that, but I knew I had to. I had to.

"Coincidences don't exist anymore, Leif," I said as they carried me over to the camp and laid me down to rest.

"I'll keep watch," Pierce said as he took his sword and stood near a single tree. He looked like he did the very first night he was in our apartment. He was overly concerned, for everyone... myself included this time.

"It's okay Pierce," I told him as I closed my eyes and smiled, "It's just us..." And that was no lie.

It was just us... outside safety.