Chapter 6

It was hard for Ivar, to let her go

With her red hair, her eyes that filled with joy at the smallest thing, her melodic laugh like music to his ears, everything about her was perfect. Everything. There was nothing he would ever change about her, nothing anyone in the world could ever tweak. She was a gift from the Gods.

No. She was a gift from the only other woman that had ever come close to this girl's level of perfection. Her mother, Ailbe.

But, no matter how much he loathed it, he knew he had to let her go. He knew that Ailbe would never forgive him if he ever let anything bad happen to her. And he'd already failed her once.

How could he bring her with him any further? The closer he came to Russia, the more dangerous his situation became. Would he risk her life with the Rus? Would he take her to battle with him when she could barely walk?

How could he possibly do that?

But where could he send her? He had no one left to trust. Hvitserk, Bjorn, Ubbe, they were all his enemies now. Whitehair was likely dead already, or soon would be.

But there was one other person.

If it were his life on the line, he could never trust them. But it wasn't him. It was her. And he knew that if there was one person in the world that would protect Aslaug with their life, it would be Corrin.

But he couldn't go to Corrin himself. Not only would he likely meet the end of the sword or be betrayed to his brothers, but he still refused to give up what pride he had left after everything that happened. No, he would send her there with two of his most trusted men. He would tell them that if anything happened to her, both them and their families would wish for death. He would not rest until he was certain that she was safe. And only then would he continue on his journey.

And once he had pulled Kattegat back into his reach?

Then and only then would he be able to bring her home. Home where she would be Princess Aslaug once more. Home where everything he could ever give her she would have. Home. The only place she should be. And may Odin have mercy on anyone who stood in his way.