Chapter 11

Soon, it was break

Soon, it was break. Everyone in the school prepared to leave and return home to their beloved families. Even Ivar. But Ailbe had no such home, no such family. Everyone that she loved had died during the war. She hadn't even got to see her father and brother. In some distant land, they lay in unmarked graves, heaped on top of other men.

She never saw her mother either before she died. She was bombed while Ailbe was away as a nurse on the front lines.

Before the war, she was the girl that all of the manuscripts had described - gentle, loving, full of light. She tried every day to continue being that girl, but to say that war didn't change her would be a lie. She'd seen things, things no one should ever see, things that would make the sanest person insane.

When she first came back from war, she didn't speak for a year. She barely moved, barely ate or slept. In her sleep, all she could see was demons. She could see the blood of her friends, hear the explosions beside her tiny tent, feel the ground shake as all around her died.

Monte Cassino, one of the most bloody wars of the entire war, was where she spent half a year as a nurse.

A loud scream cut through the gunfire, bloodcurdling and loud. The men charged forward as bullets fired down upon them, tearing their bodies to shreds. One man lay upon the ground, his leg shot to smithereens. As Ailbe watched the carnage, she saw the Nazis approach.

If someone didn't save him, he'd die. Considering the number of deaths already, her superiors cared little about one singular life. But she did.

The yells echoed behind her, men telling her to get back before she got herself killed. But she kept going. Soldiers watched in awe as the young girl walked out onto enemy lines, bullets firing all around her as enemies aimed to shoot her down. They all missed. Every single one.

Though her body wanted to turn and run in fear, she persisted towards the young man - who looked around her own age.

A grenade hurtled towards them from a Nazi trench, exploding violently. The allied soldiers watched in anticipating, wondering whether the brave young nurse was alive or dead.

As the smoke cleared, they saw two figures approaching their trench. Preparing to blow them to the ground, the soldiers aimed their guns.

But it was her. Ailbe. Around her shoulder, the soldier leant his arm as he limped back to camp. Men hurried to help the two back inside as the doctors prepared to operate on the boy.

"You saved my life..." He whispered in shock, as all of them stared at her in pure amazement. "You almost died!"

Gently, she smiled, wiping down his gaping wound. "We're the good guys. I won't just leave you men to die."

The boy that she saved was only just older than her. He had his whole life ahead of him, a life that he could now go and live. Although he lost his leg, he was alive. And he thanked God for her everyday. Hvitserk had never met anyone with her courage before, and to this day it amazed him.

The soldiers were inspired by her bravery. And, within mere days, they had defeated their enemies on the other side. Victory was theirs.

"Where will you go?" Ivar asked as they lay in bed, looking up at the ceiling.

Ailbe gave an uncertain shrug, "I hadn't really thought about it. Perhaps I'll stay in England."

Ivar looked towards her, a spark of idea igniting in his eyes, "Why don't you come with me?"

"With you?" She asked again, trying to understand. "To Norway? W-with your family?"

He gave a casual shrug, as though what he was asking was no where near as big a deal as she seemed to think it was. "If you want."

A small smile made it's way up to her lips. "Well, if you'll have me," She shrugged. "I suppose I will come with you."

"Good." He answered smugly. "It wasn't really a question."

"I know." She chuckled.

Fun fact, my great grandad fought in Monte Cassino and, when he came home, he didn't speak for a year because of everything that happened to them.

-Rhi