Chapter 20

The Queen Of Peace

The Queen Of Peace. Blinded by love perhaps.

No, she was just clinically blind. The more Ailbe thought about it, the more curious she became about the woman that she had since become. With her knowledge of modern medicine, perhaps she could've helped in some way. But what could she really do? There was no cure for blindness and the woman was already dead.

In the time she spent with Ivar, however, she forced him into drinking her strange concoctions and trusting her knowledge. She had noticed that he was far more trusting than the man she'd read about, perhaps he was scared to lose her again. Nevertheless, he was still as stubborn as the Ivar from her time and getting him to do anything involved a war of its own. He didn't want to appear weak, she understood that. But perhaps if he would just listen, maybe she could help him.

The year was 870, the year that Ivar The Boneless disappears from any and all Anglo-Saxon records. Somehow, between now and the year 873, it seemed he would end in Ireland... And meet an untimely death. That meant she had three years to save him. Three years to ensure that he'd be safe. Three years to change the course of history.

Why? Why would she do something so drastic? Well, she may not have been clinically blind, but she certainly was blinded by love.

From the moment that she'd arrived in this strange old time, she'd felt at home. But home wasn't a place, it was a person - and that person was Ivar.

From the moment of her arrival, Ivar was sure that he'd been blessed by the Gods. He had no concept of her time or the journey she'd made, he just knew that it was her and that was enough. The Gods had returned her to him so that he could start again. And he vowed he would never let her down as he'd done before.

"Mother!" The sound of little Aslaug running up behind her made a smile spread onto Ailbe's lips.

"Hello beautiful!" She beamed, spinning the little girl around in her arms. Aslaug laughed, of course. She always laughed. The small girl was filled with so much glee that it filled every room, her smile could light up whole cities and warm the coldest of hearts. And Ivar melted in her presence, like putty in the girl's hands. More than anything else, Ailbe worried the girl would end up spoiled as whatever she wanted was hers. If she asked for anything in the world, Ivar would make sure she had it. He adored her.

Her brother, Baldr, was far too young to start asking for things but Ivar still coddled him. She recalled when the boy gurgled his first word and Ivar was certain that he was a genius instantly. Moreover, he had so many plans for each of them.

Aslaug, supposedly, would be a great shieldmaiden. This he was certain of. There was no doubt in his mind that she was born to fight.

Baldr, well he was clearly a tactical genius. He was a fresh 18 months old but Ivar was certain. Supposedly, you could 'just tell' that he was superior to any other child around them.

And the new child? The one that was yet to be born? The one that Ailbe had barely informed him of when he'd decided that this child would be a healer like it's mother.

"Ailbe," Hvitserk's voice made the young woman's smile grow wider as she embraced him.

"Hello Hvitserk." She spoke with her melodic voice, a voice that he'd missed more than anything in the world. When Ivar had first brought her home from that cliff, he stared at her in utter disbelief. He'd been so broken for so long, and then there she was like nothing had ever happened. Perhaps part of him wondered why the Gods granted Ivar his love, but did not bring Thora back. But a far greater part of him felt an unimaginable sense of joy at seeing her cheery smile oncemore. She was truly like a sister to him. And he knew that she would've helped him far more than any of his brother's if she'd been there. Gods, she would've gotten on so well with Ubbe. He knew that the two of them would've acted like disappointed and yet supportive parental figures. But Ubbe had left, and she'd still never met him. Although it seemed a shame, it was also nice to know that he still wasn't alone even without his big brother. He had her.

"Ivar's been looking for you." He told her as Aslaug grabbed onto his leg and hugged him. "Something about crying."

"Has he been left alone with the baby again?" She asked with a small chuckle. No matter how much he loved them, he was also a nuisance. When it came to children he seemed to know very little and Ailbe even wondered if he'd ever been a child himself.

Hvitserk nodded, and the two returned back towards Kattegat. Ailbe's basket of herbs swung on her arm as she approached the doors to the Great hall, the sun just setting on the horizon. It seemed that Ivar needed her just as much as she needed him.

Somehow, she knew that she had to save him. But how does one change events that are already written in stone? Is it even possible?

She had to try.

Sorry for my rather long hiatus. I don't really have an excuse I've just felt rather uninspired. I've recently been hit with a refreshing wave of inspiration for this book though and I can't wait to keep going.
How are y'all doing? Coping well? Sending my love to everyone rn💕💕
-Rhi