Chapter 19

It's so odd, the things that come and go in our minds

We forget so much in our short times upon this earth, so many memories that simply fade away with time and age. Many of the things we forget are crucial points with in our lives, life changing events. While, on the other hand, we can remember so many mundane things. So many seemingly insignificant moments.

Ailbe had forgotten most of her old life. She'd forgotten the school, the love that she left behind, everything that was important to her. She'd even forgotten the war. All her memories were replaced, replaced with ones that weren't her own. But, as clear as day, she could still recall one singular moment as though it happened just the day before.

She was six, her parents took her to visit Ráith na Ríogh - a Viking age structure an hour North of Dublin. Until very recently, she'd forgotten the day entirely. However, every day it seemed to become clearer in her mind.

In the enclosure, she went to see the stone Lia Fáil - The Stone of Destiny. She could recall it so vividly, feeling even the wind upon her skin. For so long, she'd forgotten putting her hands upon the stones, forgotten the things that she'd seen. But now, not it is as clear as day.

After all, the person she'd seen as she touched the stones, was sitting adjacent to her on the stump of a tree - a wooden sword in his hand as he fought off the cheery attacks from his daughter.

Ailbe sat, rocking their baby son (Baldr) in her arms as she watched the two of them with a fond smile. The sun twinkled down, like the light of angels. It's warm golden glow illuminated the moment joyously.

"You may fight better than your mother, but you're not a shieldmaiden yet." Ivar spoke firmly, picking up the little girl and placing her on his lap.

"She's only seven, Ivar." Ailbe smiled warmly. "She has time to learn."

At this, he gave a small huff and then looked back at the little girl - who was presently wafting her toy sword around in the air violently. "We'll make a warrior out of you, little one." He told her quietly. "Just wait."

Suddenly, Baldr burst out into violent tears as he tugged on his mother's hair. His cries made Ailbe's heart feel heavy - but she pleasantly complied with the young boy's demands. How could she say no? He was as stubborn as his father. Slowly, with him carefully in her arms, she brought him to Ivar with a small frown. "I think he wants you." She said, handing him the baby and helping Aslaug down. "I don't think that boy wants anyone other than you." She chuckled.

But, Ivar shook his head in disagreement. "That's not true." He spoke, still enthralled with the babe in his arms. "Things just aren't the same without you here."

Slowly, evening came. Aslaug helped Ailbe gather herbs and flowers as Ivar attended to business in The Great Hall - Baldr sleeping soundly. Time came and went, memories here and there. And life seemed perfect, eternally perfect as though it would last forever. It felt as though they had already died, for surely nothing could ever be as beautiful as these moments that they spent together.

Always there, if only just in memory.