chapter 31

"Is it safe there?" Ivar asked, limping beside Ailbe with a curious gaze

She nodded, "Much safer than here. Most sicknesses here can be cured there, there's more technology... We don't even use horses, we use cars."

"Cars?" He asked, pulling a face at the word.

Ailbe chuckled, giving a small nod before answering, "They're built by people out of metals, like carts but many have roofs. And they travel much faster."

"Like aeroplanes?" He asked again, recalling the machine from a previous conversation.

Again, Ailbe chuckled, "They're much faster, so that they can stay in the sky and travel between countries in hours."

"And they're safe too?" He squinted, seeming suspicious.

"Yes, they're safe too." She answered. Well, mostly safe at least. She'd decided not to bore him with an Amelia Earhart story.

The two continued walking, Ailbe not really feeling the need to question where they were going. It was hours until they left for Ireland and her mind was racing with thoughts. She could save him. She could save Ivar The Boneless and change the world forever. Maybe that's why she was here. Maybe that's what she was meant to do all along.

For as long as Ivar could remember, there had been little light in his world. There was his mother... And then she was gone. There was Signy... And then she was gone. There was Ailbe... And then she was gone. And then she returned. She came back to him and it was everything that he'd ever wanted. But she wasn't his. His Ailbe died because of him, and he refused to let the same thing happen to this one.

"You're letting her come?" Corrin growled lowly, his disdain for his brother in law shining through. "Are you insane?"

"I'm sure you have a plan, right?" Hvitserk interjected. "To keep her away?"

But Ivar stayed quiet, his ocean eyes on the door that she had just exited through. He couldn't look at them. He was in a world of his own, a world of thoughts that did not involve these idiots. A world of his own plans that mattered to only him.

"I've lost my sister twice because of you." Corrin roared. "You took her away, you got her killed!" He continued. "I won't lose her again by your hand."

"I won't let her die." Was all he said, standing and leaving with a grave expression. Even Corrin, through his rage, could see the emotion in Ivar's gaze. He did love her, and he wouldn't let anything happen to her.

"Do you miss it there?" He asked. "In your time?"

"Sometimes," Ailbe nodded honestly. "But I have you. I have Aslaug, Baldr, and Floki."

"And you could leave them behind forever? To die because of me?" He stopped dead in his tracks, and Ailbe could see far more than just curiosity. He was a hurricane of emotion.

"They would have Hvitserk, and people who care about them. They have a purpose in this world that they can still find. My purpose is you, Ivar. I love you." She answered, holding onto his hand and looking up to meet his gaze.

But it wasn't enough. He wanted it to be enough but it wasn't. Corrin was right. Everyone was right. He'd blamed himself everyday for killing her. He'd seen her die a thousand times in his mind. Somewhere, in a thousand years, there was someone who loved her as much as he did. There was a version of him that had never hurt her or got her killed, a version that still had potential to make it right. He'd had his time with her. He'd lost her and got her back and loved her more than life itself. Their children had known their mother. They'd grown up with her there, knowing how beautiful she was and how much she loved them.

Ailbe had died for him once, many years ago. Now, after all this time, he was prepared to die for her.

Ailbe noticed the look in his eyes, turning around to finally realise where they were. That cliff. That damn cliff. He'd spent so many days watching over that cliff, praying to every God just to catch a glimpse of that crimson hair and bright smile. And now here they were again. All on that damn cliff.