chapter 29

"pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile

"pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile." Ailbe sung melodically like the chorus of an angel, her ever cheery voice was lit with an undying smile that shone throughout Kattegat. "While you've a Lucifer to light your fag, smile boys that's the style." As she sang, people began to stop and watch her in awe. They'd never heard anything like it, this strange tune in a strange foreign language. "What's the use of worrying, it never was worth while sooooooooo-"

"AILBE!" Hvitserk's voice made her jolt to a stop, looking around to find him.

"Hello Hvitserk." She beamed, and for a moment he lost all frustration with her. "I was just-"

"Singing?" He guessed, making her giggle nervously, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear with a hot blush.

"Sorry." She grinned nervously.

"Don't be sorry..." He answered, feeling almost guilt for making her stop. Seeing her happy was something that was always enjoyable, for everyone in Kattegat. "But be careful, you know that not many people know where you're from."

"Yes they-" Ailbe stopped, finally understanding what he meant. "Ivar told you?"

The elder Ragnarsson shrugged coily, recalling the fact he'd been told not to tell her that he knew under 'pain of death'.

Ailbe simply smiled even brighter, taking him by the arm and skipping back to the Great Hall. "Oh Hvitserk, you have no idea how much I missed you. You know, in my time I saved your life. That means you owe me."

"That's not fair." He protested flatly. "I didn't- that didn't happen to me though."

"Whatever you say, Hvitty." She beamed. "You still got saved by a girl."

Hvitserk shrugged, giving her a light nudge. "From the girls I know, I wouldn't say that was a bad thing."

Again Ailbe smiled as they walked inside, Hvitserk instantly being tackled by the stampede of children from behind the doors.

"Uncle Hvitserk!" The three children yelled as they charged, toppling over the large Viking. Ailbe let out a chuckle, looking over from them to her husband who was -slowly - trying to chase after them.

"Thank Odin!" Ivar let out in genuine unparalleled relief as soon as he saw Ailbe. "Where have you been?"

"She's been out singing!" Hvitserk's muffled voice let out from beneath the herd of kids. Ailbe kicked him gently.

"I was on a walk." She corrected. "Why, what's the matter?" She asked, but before even recieving an answer her eyes grew concerned. "Ivar, oh my gods, are you bleeding?"

"Probably." He answered, finally falling back onto a stool. "They're small... But deadly."

Ailbe had to hold back her laughter as she looked between her husband - the revered Viking Warlord, famous for his brutality and skill upon the battlefield - and the three small children who's combined ages were still younger than him.

"Y-you mean you're bleeding because of... Children?" She managed, but before she could laugh Hvitserk's voice came out from under the small pile.

"Ow! Fuck-" He began, making her turn and scoop up the children.

"What have I told you about family, hm?" She spoke sternly, making all of them look down.

"That we have to be nice." Aslaug answered.

"No dummy, we just have to care about eachother!" Baldr argued, and so the bickering began again.

"Both of you say sorry to your father and Uncle Hvitserk right now!" She cut them off. All three children guiltily looked at the ground, apologizing. "And stop teaching your brother to bite people, he's already bad enough." She persisted, sending a sharp look towards Floki. "Now go to your room and think about what you've done."

At this, all three children stomped away to their room with a grumpy look. As Ivar and Hvitserk watched the scene, they were in utter shock. The rabid beasts that had been tearing up the hall for hours were subdued in seconds by Ailbe.

"How-" Ivar began, mouth agape as he looked at her.

"Are you a witch?" Hvitserk let out, before thinking.

"Quiet you or I'll send you to your room as well." She answered, slowly walking over to Ivar with a damp cloth and a smile, dabbing away the bloody cuts and bite marks.

"Please never leave again." Ivar pleaded, making her smile again.

"I promise, my love." She spoke with her gentle voice, pressing a kiss against his lips softly. "I'll always be by your side."

Ailbe and Ivar are CEOs of the baby community
-rhi