chapter 27

"University?" Ailbe explained, her smile like the breath of spring

"University?" Ailbe explained, her smile like the breath of spring. "That's uhm... Well, it's where people go to learn things. I learned History, so did you."

"History?" Ivar gave her a look, wrinkling his nose. "Why were we doing that?"

She laughed gently at his reaction, realising how ridiculous it all must've seemed in such a different world. "Well, for you I think it was learning about war." She chuckled, earning an understanding nod. "For me it was medicine. And, if it wasn't for that class then I could never even talk to you now."

"You learned our language there?" He asked, more curiosity in his tone as he listened to her stories. She'd always enjoyed his curiosity, and reliving memories from her old life was rather enjoyable. For just a little while, it was like she was back there.

"Indeed." She nodded. "And I learned all about you and your brothers." That made him smile proudly, in a way that made her giggle again. "You were... Quite obsessed with yourself."

"No surprise." He shrugged. "I am quite great."

Ailbe playfully hit his arm, laughing again. "You haven't changed at all." She smiled, her thoughts drifting back again to her time. Her Ivar. The days they'd spent arguing over history, the nights they'd spent watching the stars on the roof of his apartment block. The way they'd danced in the moonlight to Ella Fitzgerald, or how he'd tried to teach her to shoot. A sad smile adorned her features as she considered his life now. Was he happy? She hoped so. She hoped he wasn't alone, but who could tell from so far away? One day, he'd learn about her in history class, with an empty chair beside him, and think about the times that they'd shared together. Some day, a thousand years from now when she was long dead.

1949, England

"We'll Meet Again
Don't know where, don't know when
But I know We'll Meet Again
Some sunny day
Keep smiling through
Just like you always do
'Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away" The old radio hummed cheerily, old black cars driving by as the streetlights flickered on and off. The city bustled quietly at night, stars glimmering gently. Their subtle glow illuminated all.

Ivar sat on the balcony, eyes fixed solemnly on the worn out old photograph that he always kept in his pocket. It was taken only days before she disappeared, days before he lost her forever. Them. Together. Happy. As he drank the bitter coffee that never tasted as good as the coffee she made, all he could think about was her. Did she find him? Was she happy? Did everything turn out the way she wanted it to?

"So will you please say hello
To the folks that I know
Tell them I won't be long
They'll be happy to know
That as you saw me go
I was singing this song
We'll Meet Again
Don't know where, don't know when
But I know we'll meet again
Some sunny day" Vera Lynn was supposed to play for the soldiers, for the women who lost their husbands, for the couple's that returned to eachother. But he'd lived through the war. He'd survived it. When he left, he had nothing to fight for and then by some miracle he found her. But how could he ever begin to explain? Should he say she died, say she went missing? Or should he tell the world that the love of his life disappeared on a cliff that her one thousand year old doppelganger died on so that she could reunite with his doppelganger... Ivar The Boneless. No. That was how one ended up with electrodes jammed into their skull. Instead he remained silent. Who could ever begin to understand how he felt anyway? No one.

"We'll Meet Again
Don't know where, don't know when
But I know we'll meet again
Some sunny day
Keep smiling through
Just like you always do
'Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away"

As he put the mug of tar-like coffee down, he reached into his jacket pocket. There it was, that little black box. That day, out on the cliff, he planned to give it to her. That little box with the rest of their lives inside. That box with a ring. But she was gone. She never coming back.

"So will you please say hello
To the folks that I know
Tell them I won't be long
They'll be happy to know
That as you saw me go
I was singing this song
We'll Meet Again
Don't know where, don't know when
But I know We'll Meet Again
Some sunny day"

"I love you, Ivar." Ailbe said gently, kissing her husband. "No matter what century, I will always love you."

Sup it's 4 in the morning and I can't sleep sooooooo
-Rhi