Chapter 23

When I am gone, there will be little of me left

I know that I've lived many lives, but I fear that this will be the last one. I've done what I am meant to do, I know I have. My fate is set. And now my time is almost over.
I'd like to think that, some day, I'll realise the meaning behind all of this... The purpose. But perhaps there is none. Perhaps there never will be.
All I know is that, for the first time in my life, I feel at peace and at home like I never have before.
When we're gone, we will leave three children behind to carry on our legacies. I don't think Baldr should bare the burden of the crown. Although he is clever, he is not tough like his father, in that respect he is far more like me. He's kind, but so gentle.
Aslaug, however, is quite different. She has her brother's compassion and kindness, but she has the grit and sturdiness that he does not have. Ivar says she takes after me, but she has the ability to do things that I could never do. She's still so young, and yet I can see into her heart that she will be a great woman. She is fair, caring, but does not have the weakness that comes with my compassion. She is so fierce, and I'm certain that she takes after Ivar in that respect, and so very opinionated. Her morals and beliefs are so strong and I pray to all the Gods that they never falter or are flattened by age. Just the other day, I saw her confronting boys in the town for picking on another child. Ivar was so proud when she dragged them to the Great Hall, saying that they "questioned her orders to be kind" and that they'd told her she didn't know what she was talking about because "she was a girl" .... So she beat them up and took them to her father. When the little boys saw Ivar, they were terrified beyond belief, but he seemed most amused. I still ended up apologizing to their mothers because I knew neither of them would. Nevertheless, I see within her this unwavering sense of justice, of right and wrong, of loyalty, and of strength.
And as for the child that shall be born any day now? Well, I do not know yet. Though Ivar thinks he'll be a healer, I'm not sure. I mean, we'll have to see I suppose.

"Mother, what are you doing?" Aslaug's curious little voice made me smile.

"I'm writing." I answered, pulling her up onto my knee.

"What's that?" She wrinkled her nose, patting the paper, and inspecting every black line and curve. "Like the Saxons?"

"Yes, like the Saxons. All of these little things," I pointed to each letter. "Make words, just like if we were talking."

"Can you teach me?" She asked again, big blue eyes staring up at me just like Ivar's. Before I could answer, however, I felt a sharp pain making me jolt forwards. "Mother? Mother, what's wrong?"

"Aslaug," I spoke firmly, gripping the edges of the wooden table. "Get your father."

As I looked down at the floor, I knew exactly what was happening. The baby was coming. Once again, I was about to be a mother.

I'm popping out Chapters like Ailbe is popping out kids this weekend😤
-Rhi