Chapter 21

Have you ever watched a storm? The clouds roll by, an ocean in the sky that rages calmly

Have you ever watched a storm? The clouds roll by, an ocean in the sky that rages calmly. Their black waves jolt lightning that kisses the ground violently, and then they roar with all the might of Thor.

To Ivar, every storm was Thor himself. It was the Gods speaking to mortal men, coming to earth so very briefly. But to Ailbe? To Ailbe it was a center of low pressure  that developed with the system of high pressure surrounding it. It was an atmospheric disturbance. It was scientific.

Ailbe had come from such a different age. She came from an age where slavery was illegal, where magic was science, with running water and proper hygiene. Here, it was so different to anything that she'd ever known. Everyday she had to remind herself of the deadly diseases that lurked there. Of course, she knew that it could be much worse. Historically speaking, the Vikings were some of the most clean people of their day. But that didn't stop the rampant disease and lack of medicine. Gods, they didn't even have the word Viking yet! They didn't know what it meant.

But she was determined and in love. Often, she still thought about the Ivar she left behind - her Ivar. She thought about the future, the world that she belonged to. Perhaps he was married now too, perhaps he had moved on and forgotten all about her. And the Ailbe that she had replaced? The one of many lifetimes ago? She was gone as well.

Slowly, Ailbe knelt down to light more candles with her hand holding the bump on her belly. Her gentle hum of music from her own time and sweet smile was enough to melt any heart. As the streets slowly started to fill with more and more candles, Ailbe kept humming gently.

"What are you doing?" Hvitserk asked, an amused smile on his lips as he watched her crawling to light more candles.

"It's Samhain." She explained. "I don't want the spirits to get lost."

Again he chuckled, helping her to her feet. "You haven't changed at all. Just try not to burn the town down, okay?"

"No promises." She smiled, passing him a basket full of candles. "I guess you'll just have to help me."

When Ivar left the Great Hall, all of Kattegat was lit up with candles. It was like one huge lantern that illuminated all of Norway and he was certain that those in England could see them. For a moment, he was sure that he'd go blind by the amount of candles, but he was brought back by the sound of Ailbe's voice and her beaming smile.

"She's called the Morrigan." Ailbe continued explaining to Hvitserk. "She's known to transform into a crow or a raven especially and lots of other animals too... And she can tell people when they'll die."

"Cheerful." He remarked in response.

"Well, I mean, how cheerful is Fenrir or Hel or Surt??" She questioned in return.

At that, Hvitserk had no response other than to shrug and nod, making her giggle cheerily. As they walked towards the Hall, however, it was Ivar's voice that sounded next.

"Why in Loki's name is the entire town lit up like a bonfire?" He asked in utter exasperation. Of course he loved Ailbe, and he'd missed her very much, but sometimes he certainly wondered whether the Gods sat laughing at him.

"It's Samhain." Ailbe and Hvitserk replied in unison like children caught doing something wrong.

"Ailbe, my love, you're aware that now you can see you can count the number of candles you light?" He asked again, his tone of utter despair and exhaustion. "You don't have to burn all of Kattegat to the ground."

"But what about the spirits?" She asked in a tone so innocent that it was difficult to even look her in the eye without giving in, her sweet features so clueless and pure as she looked between Ivar and the mass of candles.

"Thor give me strength." He sighed, looking back at her. "Ailbe, you've lit enough candles for a country."

A crimson blush came over her as she tucked a strand of flaming red hair behind her ear. "Sorry." She said gently. "I get a little carried away."

Ivar and Hvitserk both looked at her with a smile as she repeated the words that she'd said so many years before. "I know." He said finally, taking her hand and walking inside. In that moment, he was sure he wouldn't even mind if the whole world burned to the ground, no fate would be worse than not having her there with him. There where she finally belonged.

Hvitserk stood outside with the basket of unused candles as his brother and Ailbe walked into the hall. "I guess I'll just hold these then." He spoke sarcastically. "Great."

Another long overdue chapter :)
Hope you're all doing okay during lockdown💕
I started editing to make the days go by faster and now it's all I do.

-Rhi