th(ot)irty

quarantine, more like quarEATING because that's all ive been doing lately

sorry for making you guys wait so long :(( this part is just filler, but i promise there'll be an interesting chapter soon

America turned sideways, his gaze flicking between the mirror and his upper arm, comparing the reflection to real life. Had Russia seriously grabbed his arms so tight a few days ago that he had bruised him? Or maybe his skin just looked funny because he was looking at the mirror through his sunglasses.

Well, it wasn't like it was a very big deal. America had done what he intended to do, which was make sure Russia knew that America was going to be completely uninvolved in his life from then on. That was what Russia had wanted, right?

Still, he should probably back off. He had forced himself to be a little bit snappy towards Russia, just to show that he really was done trying to make friends with him, but that didn't mean America was going to try to bully his roommate. He just wanted to be cold to him, like how Russia had been.

Still, America just couldn't shake the feeling that Russia wasn't a bad guy. He just needed to figure some personal stuff out.

"Hey, I'm leaving for classes soon, and you should too." Denmark leaned into the bathroom, making America flinch in surprise. "Just thought you should know."

"Alright, thanks for letting me crash here, man." America forced a smile. He had been lucky enough that Denmark's roommate, Poland, had stayed overnight in someone else's room, leaving an empty bed. "I'll leave soon, don't worry."

Denmark flashed him an 'ok' sign and shut the door. America washed his hands and adjusted his shirt, again checking the bruise before letting his shirt sleeve cover it.

He hated to admit it, but part of him still worried for Russia. America felt that the subtle bullying was partially his fault-- as soon as it was apparent America was distancing himself from Russia, it was almost like that was the go-ahead for everyone who hated the Slav to do petty shit to him. America was tempted to step back in and help Russia, but it was still very clear to him that Russia was most definitely Not Interested in becoming friends.

His funeral, America thought to himself, huffing an annoyed sigh. Where had their sort-of friendship gone? It probably dissipated after America let his friends take Russia's wallet. It wasn't that America thought himself as a saint-- he knew he had done some shitty things to Russia. He could recall one time in high school when Russia showed up looking like he had been smashed in the face with a broken bottle. America remembered feeling happy and satisfied. He and his friends agreed that Russia had deserved a beating, and they congratulated whoever had done it.

So America knew he wasn't a good or perfect person. But Russia wasn't either, so why couldn't he just swallow his damn pride or whatever it was that was holding him back and be friends with America??

He sighed, placing his hands on his hips and looking at himself in the mirror. Whatever. It was fine. Russia was fine. He didn't want America's help, so America wouldn't offer it.

The door swung open, making him jump for the second time. "You done makin' out with the mirror?" Denmark asked with a teasing smile, leaning through the half-open door. "C'mon, you're in the same math class I am, we don't want to be too late."

"Alright alright, I'm coming." America scruffed up Denmark's hair as he walked out of the bathroom and grabbed his backpack, slipping his shoes on. "I've never known you to be eager to get to class on time though."

Denmark blinked, not bothering to fix his hair. "We won't be on time. Class started 25 minutes ago."

America groaned in an over-exaggerated way, rolling his eyes. "Great."

lately i've had no inspiration to write at all, which sucks bc this is the perfect time to. i finally managed to drag out another chapter tho!! but dont expect too much from me going forward ':)

also wow!! 1k!! you guys are wack

05/14/20