Chapter Six

Kade had met Mr. Chu a few times, but wasn't sure if Mr. Chu would remember him. The local business man interacted with a lot of people. Tanjoban on the other hand had done a few jobs for Chu and was on good terms with him. 

"Stay here," Tanjoban said, standing up and walking to the back.

A moment later, Tanjoban emerged from behind a thick door and waved Kade to follow him. Kade stood up and looked around nervously before heading into the back of the coffee shop. Together, they walked down a long and narrow hallway until they approached another thick door. Tanjoban pounded on it and looked up at the security camera.

Proximity sensors scanned them and sent the information to whoever was on the other side of the door. Seconds later, a green light appeared on a panel by the door followed by a clicking sound. Tanjoban pushed open the heavy door and made his way to the centre of a small room. 

The entire back wall was one giant high-res digital display that an artificial view of a jungle. The image was so clear, it looked like they had entered through a portal into the Congo.

"Mr. Chu," Tanjoban said, "This is my friend, Kade."

Mr. Chu stood up from behind his desk and walked over to greet Kade. In a coarse voice he spoke. "I believe we've met once or twice before if I'm not mistaken. Or perhaps I've seen you in passing."

"Yes, you are correct, sir. Thank you so much for meeting with me today, especially on such short notice."

"I always welcome company," Mr. Chu said with smile. "What can I do for you gentlemen?"

"Kade needs your help," Tanjoban said.

"Perhaps more advice than help," Kade corrected.

"Please, come and have a seat."

Kade looked at Tanjoban who gave him a reassuring nod. They both took their seats and were offered coffee.

"No, thank you. We had some earlier," Tanjoban said.

"Very well then. How can I be of assistance?"

"I've been given an offer for which I see no plausible reason to accept. I've rejected the offer, but now I fear the consequences for me will be worse than had I accepted."

"May I guess this offer is from Saigon?"

"Yes, sir."

"Can you tell me more about this offer?"

"He wants me to go to Tri-City to deliver a package."

"I see. And how much is the compensation?"

"Ten canisters."

Mr. Chu nodded as if he understood more than he was letting on. "And you refused this offer because making the trip is dangerous?"

"Correct."

"And since refusing, you fear your life may now be in danger?"

"Yes, sir."

"I believe I understand your predicament," he said like an old wise man.

"Is there anything I can do?" Kade asked.

Mr. Chu exhaled and spun around in his chair to gaze out at the fake view that was in front of him. Kade looked over at Tanjoban who gave him another nod of reassurance.

"This is my favourite part of the loop," Mr. Chu said. "Everyday around this time, the monkeys come out and play. It amuses me every time," he said with a chuckle.

Kade sat patiently, giving Mr. Chu the benefit of the doubt. It occurred to him that perhaps old age was starting to catch up with Mr. Chu and he was losing his mind.