Chapter Twenty-Three

Morning came and went, and Kade was still unconscious. He remained asleep for nearly three days, being kept alive by a rogue group of mountain people. When he began to show signs of life, the doctor was called to his side. Kade's eyes opened and he was in a profound state of confusion. He didn't recognize his surroundings, nor the faces staring over him.

"It's okay," the doctor said, "My name is Kefu. You're in a safe place."

For a moment Kade considered the possibility that he may in fact be dead. The room he was in didn't exactly fit the traditional images of heaven so his brain quickly searched for another explanation.

"Where am I?" he muttered with a course voice. His throat was dry and scratchy. He coughed immediately, which caused him excruciating pain. Kefu handed him a glass of water with a metal straw, which Kade immediately slurped up.

"You're in a monastery," Kefu said. "My people found you several days ago and have been tending to you while you recover."

Kade had so many questions, but wasn't sure where to start. "Thank you," Kade said. The confused look never left his face. "How long did you say I have been here?"

"We found you three days ago."

"Three days ago?" Kade said, nearly falling out of his bed.

"Please, you must relax. Your body needs to rest."

"Was there a girl with me?" Kade asked. "About 5'5", light brown hair, mid-twenties."

"No, you were alone when we found you. It appears as though someone brought you to a very fortunate spot. We didn't find any transportation so we assumed you had been beaten and left for dead. You did have a taser lying next to you so whoever left you, didn't think to disarm you. A friend perhaps."

"Cali is no friend of mine."

"Did you say, 'Cali'?" the monk asked in astonishment.

"Yeah, why, did she betray you as well?"

"Mr..."

"Casey. Kade Casey. You can call me Kade."

"Very well, Kade. I'm not too sure your circumstances and what your relationship with Cali was, but I can assure you, she has a big heart."

"Ha!" Kade scoffed, followed by another coughing fit. "We must be talking about two different people. She robbed me and left me for dead. Twice."

"How did she do that?" the monk asked.

"We were in the abandoned city and she helped me escape. Then she took my bike and all my equipment and left me for dead."

"If what you say is true, why did she help you escape?"

"I'm not sure."

"Was there some benefit she gained in doing so?"

"I'm not sure."

"Well, I know Cali. She helped us out a great deal a few years back. Haven't seen her since. If it wasn't for her, this community wouldn't exist, we'd all be slaves or dead. I don't think it was an accident that she left you where she did. She knows very well that the building you were in is used as a lookout post. We go there often. She knew you would eventually be discovered and provided assistance. The fact that she left you with a weapon and a near full canister is evidence of that. If she were truly out to get you, she would have left you with nothing."

"Maybe so, but it doesn't change the fact that she stole my gear."

"I cannot condone what she did, nor speculate on the reasons for her actions, but perhaps in time, her true motives will be revealed."

"I appreciate you rescuing me, but I can't stay here. I need to get back to Endocrine."

"That is a journey few can survive, especially one in your condition."

"Thanks for the advice, but there's something I really need to take care of."

"I suggest you stay here and rest. We can provide you with food, clothing, oxygen, safety, and shelter. In exchange, we ask you help out. Within a week or two, your body will have recovered adequately and we can give you all the supplies you need to go on your journey."

"A week or two?" Kade repeated. "I cannot wait that long. I need to leave immediately."

As Kade attempted to stand, sharp pains pulsed through his body. He gritted his teeth and squinted his eyes in discomfort.

"You are free to go anytime, you're not a prisoner here," the monk said. "But if you would like to stay, we can ensure you make a full recovery."