Chapter Thirty-Three

The neighbourhood in which they lived was in a deteriorating state of disrepair. Rusted and hollowed out cars propped up on blocks — stripped of anything of value — littered the streets. Disenfranchised people walked sluggishly like high-tech zombies. Caged windows, graffiti, and trash were the de facto decor.

Being back in Endorcrine was surreal for both Kade and Cali. As for Kade, he was constantly looking over his shoulder, fearful of being followed. Ideally, he would lay low for a few days and recover, but he needed to learn about what had happened in his absence, and if his friend Tanjoban had suffered the same fate as his mother.

"As riders, we are sometimes hard to get a hold of," Kade explained as they walked through the seedy neighbourhood. "If we cannot find Tanjoban, it could just mean that he is out doing a delivery."

They first checked Tanjoban's apartment, but he was not there. Next, they looked around some of his favourite spots in his neighbourhood. The word on the street was he was no longer making deliveries as none of his regular clients had heard from him or seen him in months. This was troubling news. It would be absolute heartbreaking for Kade to have lost the only two people he cared about.

The last place Kade and Cali looked was Chu's Wisely Coffee Shop. A part of Kade was apprehensive to enter because he was now indebted to Mr. Chu. He was afraid it would be a debt he could not pay back. He wasn't exactly sure how Mr. Chu would respond to seeing him again, but figured upon telling his story and what he had been through, Mr. Chu would be sympathetic to his situation.

Cali and Kade entered the small coffee shop and looked around. They were tracked and monitored the moment they scanned in. It wasn't particularly busy so they were able to find a preferable seat near the back. Looking over the digital menu, which was a part of the surface of the table, they selected some items and placed their order. A timer counted down upon receiving payment, which permitted them to stay in the shop. In addition to the coffee and donuts, they were also billed for the amount of oxygen they would use over the next hour.

 A moment later, Mr. Chu emerged from the back.

"Kade Casey," he said in a tone that didn't connote any hostility.

Kade removed his helmet and looked at Mr. Chu. "I bet you didn't expect to ever see me again," he said.

"I'm glad you're alive and well."

"I'm alive," Kade said.

Within seconds, their order was ready and delivered through an internal network of conveyor belts. A tiny door on the wall next to their table slid open and allowed them to grab their beverages and snacks.

"I presume you're not just here for the coffee and donuts," Mr. Chu asked.

"Your instincts are as sharp as ever," Kade replied.

"Take your time. When you're ready, come on back and we can have a chat. I'm sure you have a doozy of a story and I can't wait to hear it."

Cali followed Kade into the back where they met Mr. Chu. They all took seats around the desk in his office.

"This is Cali," Kade said. "She literally saved my life."

"Twice."

"She also left me for dead. Twice."

"It's nice to meet you, Cali. I'm excited to hear your story," Mr. Chu said, leaning back in his oversized chair with folded arms.

"Gosh, where shall I begin?" Kade said, searching his brain. "As you know, I got jumped by Saigon and his goons. I came to see you shortly after. Not only did they beat me within an inch of my life, but they took my entire stash and injected me with ghost. Looking back now, I think they did that to either keep me alive, or make me reckless so I would do the delivery, I'm not sure. 

"After I came to see you and got my gear, thank you for that by the way, I left that night. I was still badly wounded, but the clock was ticking, so I rode for a few hours. I encountered my first set of troubles early into the trip when I got caught in a crazy sand storm. It nearly killed me, but luckily the bike you had procured for me ended up saving my life."

Kade continued to tell his story all the way up until arriving back into town the night before. The whole time, Mr. Chu looked at him with a look of astonishment that he somehow was able to survive.

"I'm truly sorry you had to endure this experience," Mr. Chu said, "but I'm sure this experience has made you stronger and wiser."

"Truthfully, I don't think there was any benefit that came from it," Kade said.

"I'm sure you may be overlooking some benefits," he said with a smile as he looked at Cali. 

"I'm not sure about the wisdom part, but I definitely don't feel stronger. Right now, I feel drained."

"Are you off the drugs?"

"Yes, I'm clean."

"So you're back now, what are you going to do?" Mr. Chu asked.

"First of all, let me just say that I appreciate everything you've done for me and I have every intention of paying you back. I may need some time though. I need to see about my mother. I went by her place last night, but she wasn't there. It looks as though she hasn't been there in months and I am fearing the worst. Have you heard anything?"

"No, I have not, but I will ask around and keep my eyes and ears open."

"Thank you. I appreciate that. As for what I'm going to do... well, Saigon most likely wants me dead, my health is deteriorating, and I have nothing, not even a bike."

"What happened to your bike?"

"Cali stole it," Kade answered.

"I'm confused," Mr. Chu stated. "Cali is right here, why don't you just take it back?"

"Over my dead body," Cali said.

"As you can see, she's not the most cooperative person I've met."

"Interesting. Well, I can get you all new equipment," Mr. Chu offered. "I can help you get back on your feet and take care of whatever you need."

"You'd do that?" Kade asked.

"Of course," Mr. Chu said with a smile. "You need to pay me back, right? How are you going to do that without gear?"

"I really appreciate it," Kade responded graciously. "You won't regret this."