Chapter Twenty

It took every ounce of will for Kade to pull himself off the floor and return to his feet, but he knew he would not likely live to see another sunrise if he didn't. With a severe limp, he hobbled toward Cali.

"Can I have my helmet?" he asked as blood oozed from his nose as well as the corners of his mouth.

"Later," she replied. "Get on the back."

Kade removed a mask from one of the scavs before climbing on the back of the bike. As soon as he did, Cali took off, weaving through the field of debris. Kade quickly wrapped his arms around Cali's waist and held on tightly. He could feel her tight abs flex as she jockeyed around the large room. She had demonstrated admirable skill in both combat and riding, which intrigued him. He had to know more about her.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"Seriously, dude, not the right time to be asking questions," she shot back. Her focus was on getting them out alive.

With Kade clinging on, Cali accelerated through the rubble and out the nearest exit. They made their way to the street just as the hazy orange sun began to rise. They were still not out of danger yet, but fortunately, Cali knew exactly which way wasn't riddled with traps.

She shifted her weight like a pro as she raced through the empty streets. Around her shoulder was a large blaster. Gripping it with one hand, she spun the strap around and aimed the gun high letting out a succession of blasts. Kade didn't even see the target, but Cali knew all the hiding spots like going through a previously completed level of a video game. She took aim, blasting her enemies while navigating the streets.

Their clothes flapped with force as they tucked their heads and flew through the city, making it to the highway. They were home free. The rode for more than an hour, being sure to check over their shoulders every so often. They were not being followed.

In the middle of nowhere, several hundred kilometres outside of the city, Cali slowed the bike as she pulled into the temporary rest stop. Kade lifted his head and saw a little building with nothing else around it. Whatever township this once was, it had been wiped off the map and all that was left was a small stone structure. 

The two dismounted and took turns rehydrating. Fortunately, the bike's water reservoir as nearly full.

"You're a good rider," Kade said.

"Thanks."

"Where are we?"

"A rest stop."

"What's the plan after this?" Kade asked, looking around the abandoned shelter.

"Let's worry about that later. First, we need to make sure we're both safe and in good health. How are you feeling? Anything broken?"

"I don't think so. A lot of swelling. My whole body is sore, but I think I'll pull through. I think I just need to lie down and allow my body to rest and heal up."

"I'm sorry to keep asking you this, but I have trust issues," Kade said. "I just don't understand why you're helping me? You didn't need me to escape. You have the bike and the helmet, you could have left me back there."

"Kind of like how you left me to die out in the desert?"

"Exactly."

"Well, fortunately I'm not like you," Cali said "I have a heart."

"I have a heart," Kade replied in defense.

"I know, and it just about got you killed."

"For the record, I knew you were trouble when I met you," Kade said.