Chapter Nineteen

Large overhanging lights came on in succession, illuminating the repurposed gymnasium. Kade and Cali were not completely exposed. There was no place to run or hide. Before they knew it, they were surrounded by scavs. 

Although Cali had rescued Kade, he didn't feel beholden to continue to help her. He ran to his bike, but couldn't find his helmet or suit anywhere. Without all his gear, there was no point in trying to escape. He needed everything if he were to survive the harsh environment.

Kade looked around frantically, but eventually was forced to pay attention to more pressing matters. He was attacked from the rear by two men, one of which had a large metal pipe. Luckily he saw the attack coming just in time to avoid a wild swing that, if it had connected, would have been life altering.

"If you help me get my gear, I can take you with me," Kade pleaded in a passive attempt to mollify the situation. He figured Cali couldn't be the only unhappy person living against their will. Neither of the men took the offer.

Kade wasn't much of a fighter, but he was scrappy. In his line of work, he was no stranger to hand-to-hand combat. Even still, he was in no position or mood to fight. His body was badly beaten and his brain was fried. The Chu philosophy ran through his mind once again — increase the odds in your favour. Kade figured his best course of action was to run. He maneouvered himself behind a table, thinking that would prevent the attackers from getting him. The scavs simply jumped onto the table, forcing Kade to quickly come up with a new plan.

Cali was a warrior. She was dealing with even more scavs. They attacked her from all angles, but her clever and crafty movement always seemed to be one step ahead. While dodging a punch from one of the attackers, she spun around with the fluidity of a ballerina and kicked another in the face. Then in a dizzying flurry, she smashed kneecaps, obliterated noses, and sent ill intended kicks to groins. Within seconds, she had dismantled several of her attackers. Before she had a chance to help out Kade, there were a dozen more men coming from all directions.

Kade on the other hand had problems of his own. Cornered by two men, they traded blows. One of the men hit him with a taser, which dropped Kade to his knees. Then, another scav, a large fellow, hoisted Kade onto his shoulders like he was carrying a bag of rice, and slammed his body down on a table, forcing the air out of his lungs. Kade moaned in pain and struggled to get free, but one of his arms were pinned.

He looked over at his right arm, which was stretched out and being held in place by a man who outweighed him by nearly one hundred pounds. Kade's eyes cascaded up and saw the man holding a large machete high over his head. In his mind, Kade made the logical connection. If he didn't get out of this compromising position, he was about to lose an arm.

As the blade swung down, Kade withdrew a small knife from his robe and jabbed it into the man's leg. The machete slammed down on the table, inches away from dismembering a limb. As the man dealt with the knife in his leg, Kade slid off the table and limped away. He looked for another weapon and found a hammer. He held it out in a defensive stance, his eyes darting back and forth between the two men. He had a crazed look in his eyes that was a mixture of fear and panic.

One of the men charged forward in a flash, covering the distance between them with one stride. Before Kade could even swing, the man landed a solid punch squarely on his jaw. Kade was wobbled from the blow and could barely see straight. As he searched for his bearings, he was tackled to the ground. The two men proceeded to pummel him with a rage unlike anything he had seen. All Kade could do to protect himself was turtle up and hope they would grow tired.

The punches seemed never-ending as fists rained down on him, smashing into the meaty part of his already tender legs, rib cage, and arms, which were cradling his head. The odd punch managed to sneak through his defense and smash his face.

He had nothing left and was ready to submit. Then, a firestorm of gunshots echoed throughout the gymnasium. Kade prayed that none of the bullets would hit him. When the gunfire stopped, he opened his eyes and peaked through his arms. He saw his two attackers bloodied and deceased on the floor beside him. He looked over and saw Cali sitting on his bike. The guns had been withdrawn and had taken out everyone in the vicinity.

"I found your helmet," she said, looking like a total badass. "Come on, get up."