Chapter Thirty-Eight

Cali and Tanjoban helped Kade to his feet, but he was still very much out of it. "Keep him alive," Mr. Saigon said. I want to have the pleasure of killing him.

Tanjoban had heard enough. He went into a complete rage and shot Mr. Saigon several times until him emptied the clip. Mr. Saigon fell backward over his desk and out of sight.

Tanjoban ran up to a locked cabinet and raided it for all the canisters. There were over 100, but it was more than he could carry.

"Come on, let's go!" Cali said.

Tanjoban loaded them all in a bag and then the three made a fast exit.

"Hang in there, buddy," Tanjoban said. "We're going to get you out of here."

The elevator barely made it down three stories before it stopped abruptly. An alarm was sounded, which sent the team into a panic. Kade was on the floor of the elevator, pale, and barely conscious.

"What's wrong with him?" Cali asked, crouching to her knees.

"I'm not sure. How much voltage did you use?"

"I barely touched him," she said. "That was the plan."

"What's-his-face kicked him pretty hard, maybe he's suffering from internal bleeding or something."

"Kade, wake up," Cali said, slapping him gently on his face. His eyes opened a crack. "Listen to me, we have to get out of here. Are you able to walk?"

"You guys go," Kade said softly.

"We're not leaving you here. You'll die."

"I'm already dying."

"That's why we need to get you out of here."

"No, you don't understand," Kade said. "I'm sick. I've been sick for a while. I won't make it. Just go."

Cali looked at Tanjoban who was out of answers and growing anxiously impatient by the second. "Come on, Kade," Cali said with glossing eyes. "You have to get up. There's still time."

"This is the end for me," his said with a whisper. "But a new beginning for you."

"Cali, we have to make a decision now," Tanjoban said. The alarm still blaring in the background adding even more urgency to the situation.

"This can't be the end," Cali said. Her face tightened up, her eyes squinted, and tears began flowing freely down her face and dripping onto Kade. She leaned in and threw her body on top of Kade. She held him, sobbing uncontrollably. It was a rare emotion for her as she had been so bottled up for so many years. She hadn't allowed herself to get close to anyone. Since Kade came into her life, he had taught her how to love again. Seeing him like this was a real gut-punch for her.

She could almost feel Kade's life slip away in her arms, that's when she clamped on tighter. Tanjoban was just as distraught, but knew his moment of grieving would need to come later. He reached down grabbed Cali by the shoulder and pulled her off. She stood up and looked down at Kade, who was motionless on the cold and sterile elevator door. his eyes were closed and he no longer appeared to be breathing.

"We can't just leave him," Cali said through irrational thoughts of desperation.

"We must," Tanjoban said. "Unless you would like to join him."