Chapter Twenty-Four

Drifting in and out throughout the night, Kade tossed and turned in his sweat-soaked sheets, moaning loudly like he was exercising a demon from his body. His body fluctuated from having a high fever to having cold sweats as he was desperately craving another hit of ghost. On more than one occasion the thought had crossed his mind to sneak out, find his way back to the abandoned city, and locate the dose he had thrown away. He played out the sequence in his mind over and over like an obsessed madman, minimizing the amount of effort and luck it would take.

Kefu came in several times throughout the night to check on him.

"Mr. Kade, can I get you anything?"

"Water. Please."

Kefu stepped away and returned a moment later with a glass filled with a dark brown liquid.

"Here, drink this."

Kade accepted the drink and brought it up to his nose.

"What is this?"

"It's medicine," Kefu said with a warm smile. "It'll make you feel better."

If the drink tasted anything like it smelled, Kade knew he wouldn't enjoy it. He started with a small sip and nearly gagged, not trying to conceal his disgust. He took another sip.

"Drink up," Kefu said, "I'll get you new bedding."

As he did with the water, Kefu shuffled off and returned yet again to help Kade through the ordeal. 

As he changed the bedding, Kade explained his situation and why he was having withdrawal. 

"I'm not a junkie, I promise," Kade said. "I was drugged."

"I don't pass judgement," Kefu said with the warm smile. "There, all done. Enjoy your new sheets. I'll be back in a few hours to check on you."

"What would I do without you, Kefu?" Kade said sincerely.

"It's important you get rest."

Kade smiled and shut his eyes.

"I'll wait with you until you fall asleep," Kefu said.

"Thank you," Kade said. "For everything."

It the morning, Kade awoke with a massive headache, brought on by extreme dehydration. His eyes slowly opened and he saw Kefu sitting bedside as if he had never left.

"Another drink for you," Kefu said, handing Kade another glass of the murky liquid.

Kade reluctantly accepted the strange brew and again choked it down. "What's in this?" he asked again, hoping to get a more specific answer.

"It's a concoction of fermented psilocybin mushrooms, tree bark, beetle protein, and mineral water."

"That explains the crazy dreams," Kade said with a smirk. "My morning should be interesting to say the least."

"Don't worry, I only used a small dose of mushrooms, you should hardly experience any psychedelic effects."

Kade took another sip.

"When you're ready, you can eat. We have breakfast prepared for you."

"Thank you."

Kefu stood up and went to leave until Kade stopped him. "Wait," Kade said causing Kefu to turn around.

"Yes?"

"Did you say tree bark?"

"Yes," he said, flashing his large smile.

"You have a tree here?"

"Of course, we have several. How do you think we're breathing right now?"

"Can I see them?"

"Yes, of course. After breakfast I will take you to our tree habitat."

Kade struggled to get out of bed as he was experiencing a combination of muscle fatigue, atrophy, and a debilitated mental state brought on by withdrawal.

"Don't try to walk," Kefu said, rushing to bring him a wheelchair.

Kade could barely stand. With Kefu's help, he was assisted into the chair and together, they entered a large eating area where Kade was met by over two dozen friendly faces, who were all eager to meet him. It wasn't often they had visitors, and consequently they received great joy from being of service to others.

Kefu wheeled Kade up to a table and locked his chair in place. A moment later, a large plate of steaming potatoes and boiled vegetables were placed in front of him.

"This looks amazing," he said graciously. "Thank you all for your warm hospitality."

"It's our pleasure," one of the monks responded.

"I'm Tenchu," an elegant woman said with an endearing smile. "What brings you to these parts?"

"I'm a rider... from Endocrine. I was just passing through on one of my deliveries, and... well, it didn't go as I had planned it."

"You are safe here."

"I appreciate it, thank you."

After breakfast, Kade was wheeled around the facility. He was shown the exercise and rehabilitation room, the medical centre, the sleeping bunks, and the entertainment area. The place was massive.

The monastery was a modern facility, formerly an abandoned military bunker carved into the side of a mountain. It was completely off the grid. Apparently, whoever knew about it before the catastrophe had either perished or had no interest in returning. Fortunately for the monks, it was fully stocked with everything they needed, including seeds, fertile soil, fresh water and oxygen, medical equipment, and food.

The monks had discovered the base by accident and had remained there ever since. The only encounter they had was with a group of scavs a few years prior, who upon finding it, threatened to take it over and kill everyone inside. Cali was among those scavs — a newcomer at that time — and could not allow her conscience to sit back and watch such a peaceful group be slaughtered.

Kefu saved the best for last. The last place on the tour was a large glass dome with plants and trees. Insects such as butterflies and beetles thrived in this lush habitat. It was truly spectacular to see in person. Above the trees were a series of reflective tubes that connected to the surface, bringing natural sunlight to the underground oasis.

"We are the guardians of this place," Kefu stated with pride. "This is our home."

"This is incredible," Kade said, looking around in awe. It was unlike anything he had ever seen in his lifetime. "Where did this come from?"

"It was here when we discovered this place — to some extent. We, of course, nurture and maintain it. This is where we get all our food and oxygen. Without it, this place would be uninhabitable. As you know, there are no signs of life anywhere around us, which is ironically one of the things that keeps us safe. No one thinks to come looking for anything out here. Even if a drone were to fly overhead, it wouldn't even detect this place. We have technology to mask our digital signals so unless you happen to stumble upon this place like we did, or are brought here like you were, we can remain completely off the grid and safe."

"It's truly a wonderful spot you have, nestled in the mountains, protected from being corrupted by the outside world. I'm really honoured to be here and have you take such good care of me."

"We'd be delighted for you to stay with us for as long as you want. This is home now."

"I appreciate that, but I mustn't stay too long. I need to return to Endocrine to see how my mother is doing. I've been given one week to make a delivery and I'm afraid I failed to deliver. My mother was being held as ransom. I need to tell my employer that I need more time."

"I'm terribly sorry to hear that," Kefu said. "I can assure you that we will help you in any way. If there's anything you need, it's yours."

"You're too kind," Kade said. "Thank you. The world needs more people like you."