Chapter Thirty-Nine

"You think he's dead?" Tanjoban asked, staring blankly out the window of Cali's apartment.

"I felt him slip away in my arms."

"I meant Saigon."

"How can you think of Saigon right now?"

"Because if he's not dead, then we are. I shot the man like ten or eleven times."

"Sounds like he'd be dead to me," Cali said.

"You never know with Saigon. He fell behind his desk. Until I see him dead, I won't ever feel safe."

"So what next?" Cali asked.

"We have enough canisters to last us a few months. I suggest we lay low and wait for this dust to settle.

Cali looked down at the rice-sized implant that was pulled out of the back of Kade's neck "What is this thing?" she said, flipping the tiny tube around in her hand.

"Whatever it is, it must be very valuable. Whatever package Kade was delivering must have been a decoy — he was the package."

"Do you know anyone you can trust with the knowledge, or technology, to analyze this thing?"

"I know a guy," Tanjoban said, retracting from the window and looking at Cali like a man with a plan. "What do you say we take that thing down to our friend Mr. Chu and see if he knows what it is?"

"Do you really think that's a good idea? I mean, suppose it is something powerful or dangerous, we won't want it to fall into the wrong hands."

"Good point. Let's stash it somewhere safe and where no one would ever think to look. Then we'll pretend we don't have it, but that Kade told us about it. See if Mr. Chu knows anything."

"I feel more comfortable with that plan," Cali said.

Cali and Tanjoban waited a few days before surfacing. During that time, they continued to grieve the loss of their friend. Tanjoban shared stories Kade, which only made Cali's heart grow fonder of him.

By the end of the week, Cali and Tanjoban had left the apartment and were now standing in front of Mr. Chu.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Mr. Chu said.

"Thank you," Tanjoban said.

Mr. Chu led them into the back where they could speak privately. Cali trailed behind, following Mr. Chu and Tanjoban into his office. She was constantly on guard, looking around anxiously, expecting to be walking into a trap.

They sat down in Mr. Chu's office and he asked them the reason for their visit.

"We were wondering if you heard about Mr. Saigon's death?"

Mr. Chu paused for a moment and looked at them. "I have heard rumours, but nothing concrete," Mr. Chu replied. "Perhaps you know more than me."

"Just the same rumours as you," Tanjoban said.

"Whenever you have a major player removed from the game, it creates a void. According to Game Theory, that void must be filled. One of two outcomes could happen. There could be a direct transfer of power — a successor if you will who takes over the throne and assumes that role. But we know Mr. Saigon did not have any children, and so far no one has come forward as a successor."

"What's the second scenario?" Tanjoban asked.

"The second scenario is a power struggle between competing forces. The power will shift partially or fully to whoever has the means and desire to acquire it. I suspect the latter. In the coming months, we may expect a new leader to rise and take over the city."