Chapter 12: Circles

While I count down the last painful hours to my final moment at school, I do have one great thing to distract me. My mother's condition hasn't gotten worse in the last few days. I've been charting her progress and have noticed that there is a definite curve. Knowing that there has been a steady increase in the number of recoveries amongst other patients with Balo's Disease is lifting my spirits. Still, I am not so bold as to confirm anything without Doctor Manning's final say, so I've held off telling my mother of my findings.

Starting next week, I can work more days and longer hours at the car dealership, and I will have enough money for proper home visits in no time.

I am in the kitchen, with my mother's medical bills and Matty's homework to check in a pile on the kitchen table, when my phone rings. It's Will. I think it's nice that he takes the time to call me instead of texting or contacting me through social media. Not that I have any social media.

"Hey Ronnie, I need your help," he says without waiting for me to offer a hello.

"Sure, what's up?"

"Are you good at chemistry?"

"I guess so? What do you need?"

"A formula I'm working on."

Doesn't he have an array of friends he can ask for help? I'm honour he would come to me, but we barely know each other. "And you need my help? Why me?"

"It's not exactly... legit. And it's like... we're principal's-office buddies, so why not?"

"Principal's-office buddies? Is that a thing?" I let out a short laugh. Though his request seems sketchy, especially since he just admitted that it's not legit. But, there's absolutely no harm in seeing what it is first. "And sure, I'll take a look at it."

"Awesome! So like maybe we can meet up after class sometime next week? Anyway, see you at the party, Ronnie!" He runs off before I can tell them that I won't be here next week, and suddenly I'm fully aware that he will be the only person I'll miss from Apollo.

***

Something about it being my last day has made everything around me seem more vibrant. It's like I can breathe without hesitation, without anxiety or pressure. The hallways of Apollo look cleaner, brighter, more colourful and less aggravating. Maybe it's the certainty that today is my final obligation to stay in this ever-consuming prison.

On Sunday I turn 18, and after that no one can force me to do anything I don't want to do. My genius, my lack of interest, my horrible grades and my desire to cease every moment of it, can no longer be questioned. I'll be free. It's fitting that I'm also going to attend a party tonight. My first, and last, real high school experience. Fortunately, neither of my parents have said a thing about it, which makes me think the school hasn't notified them. Maybe they think I'm bluffing.

I breathe in the promise of a better tomorrow as I make my way through the main doors. Ready to say goodbye. Though I haven't taken five steps when the announcements come on and I'm asked to go to the Principal's office.

"Miss Boniadi, you can go right in. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes I'm told. Enough time before I start the morning announcements," Shelley says as she actually looks up and smiles, causing her black-rim glasses to tip forward a little.

Cranston is there waiting for me, with Jay sitting across Cranston's desk. My body becomes tense, and the usual anger I feel whenever Jay's around starts to boil, probably causing my face to redden. One moment of relaxation and hope will be ruined by this encounter. Has Jay told Cranston of his suspicions? Is Cranston about to call my parents? They can't even let me enjoy my last day, can they?

"Miss Boniadi, please have a seat," Cranston says, ushering the seat next Jay.

Hesitant, like prey entering a clearing where any beast can attack, I do as he asks. "Am I in trouble?"

"Mister Alderan here tells me that there have been no tutoring sessions for a few days now. I'd like for you to begin those sessions again. Judging by the assignments your teachers have provided, there have been slight improvements. I am confident that if we follow through with tutoring, we can see better results in the coming months."

Thankfully, surprisingly, it seems as though Jay has kept some things to himself. It also seems as though they really do believe I'm bluffing about not returning to school. I plaster on the politest smile I can, "Yes Principal Cranston."

"Good. I recommend diving right back in and maintaining the schedule. Please see to it that you are in the library for a session today."

"Right. Understood."

"Wonderful. Now, Miss Boniadi, I don't want anymore negativity, or reports from Mister Alderan that you're either not putting in the proper effort, or not showing up. We're in this together, and I have every confidence that by the end of the semester, you will have the grades I know you can achieve. We're all here to help you, so don't let us down."

I don't let my smile waive as I think of the many reasons why Cranston is a typical, rich old man who only cares about the bottom line of his salary. "Of course. I totally get it."

As soon as Cranston dismisses us, I run out before Jay has a chance to say anything. But he doesn't take the hint and catches up to me in the hallway. "Are you actually going to show up today?"

I march on without looking at him, "Sure, why not? If I must suffer through one more pointless lesson with you, so be it."

"So you're still planning on dropping out?"

I roll my eyes and speed up without answering. Our conversations go in circles, and the less I have to keep up with that circle, the better.

He matches my pace, "You and Will Tsukomo, are you two a thing?"

"What?" I stop, a little taken aback by the sudden change in topic. I glare at him. "Why is that your business?"

"It's not... I'm just asking." As a mild case of confusion spreads across his face, he cowers back a step. "Nevermind. And look, I'm sorry about Stella. She promised me she'll keep her distance."

"What's her problem with me anyway? I've never done anything to her, or any of your friends."

"They all think that we're... that there's something going on." Is he blushing? I can't tell if he's ashamed, angry, or overcome with some other emotion I didn't know robots could emote.

"Why would they think that?"

"It doesn't matter. They won't bother you anymore."

Annoyed that he won't divulge further, I turn to leave again. Why tell me only half of the story? "Okay. We're done here, and you can stop following me."

How many times must we continue travelling through this circle before he finally understands? For someone who prides himself in being overly intelligent, he can't seem to take simple directions very well, like leaving someone alone, or staying out of someone's business.

"Veronica. I was a dick, okay?"

Another shock. Again, I face him. "Huh?"

"The way I treated you. I'm sorry for giving you such a hard time since this started, and for telling Cranston stuff about you."

"You do realize we just left his office, right? That means you were still being a dick this morning, when you told him I've missed a few sessions. So you're telling me you've had a sudden change of heart in the last five minutes?"

"I didn't tell him.... Okay I did, but it wasn't intentional. He called me into his office, and asked about your progress. What was I supposed to do?"

"You could've lied," I say, a little flustered. Why is he being nice? Why apologize when it's the last day we'll ever see each other? What's the point? Between this, and that awkward moment in the hallway yesterday, Jay is becoming a little harder to read. "You know what? It doesn't even matter anymore. It's fine, you apologized. I forgive you. We can leave it at that."