Chapter 28: "And now I'm uninviting you."

Mister Weir spent the greater part of the class interrogating me, one tedious question after the other. Some are strictly word problems, some are more equations straight out of the textbook. Some don't appear in the textbook at all. I had psyched myself out for so many years, though now it's clear that I had been living in my own head. Maintaining a higher average would have saved me from having to go through this awkward mathematics interrogation. There are plenty of A-average students that no one looks at twice. With one stupid slip-up, everyone will now think I'm either a freak or a fraud. 

When the class ended, Mister Weir asked me to take out the pages from my notebook with the completed equations and let him review them again. I did as he requested, gather my things, and rush out before anyone can say anything else to me. I don't know what he plans on doing with the pages, but I should probably learn to escape this constant state of paranoia I've hid myself in for all these years. 

When the school day was finally over, I had walked out of the school quickly and let the cool, soothing air outside wash over my anxiety. How many more months until graduation, until I can close this chapter of my life for good?

My meeting with Will at the nearby Starbucks went by super quickly. He gave me information on more papers to write, we had coffee, and I headed home. Though I did think I saw Jay drive by in his blue car, but maybe that was more unnecessary paranoia. Or wishful thinking. Either way, the car was gone in a second, and my attention had diverted back to Will. 

***

As the evening evolves into night, I spend the time in the kitchen, a disgruntled mess, writing one paper after the next like I'm being chased by the concept of time itself. Furiously and desperately. As I rush through each topic, I also keep the earnings from every paper in my mind, calculate this week's expenses, and determine exactly how much I'll need for the rest of the month. With senior projects coming up, maybe I can start creating entire projects with presentations for people, and charge ten times more. 

"Veeee, when is dinner?" Matty asks as he runs into the kitchen.

"In an hour. I still have to finish some stuff here. Did you finish all your homework?"

"Yep. Oh, I forgot to tell you, Josh is coming over for dinner too. He'll be here in like two seconds. Dad said I can invite him."

"But it's a weeknight," I respond, my voice a little more whiny than I had intended. 

Matty gives a quick shrug, "You can ask dad if you don't believe me."

"I believe you, buddy. But he can't stay late. Eight-pm the latest, you got it?"

"Yeah, okay!" Matty replies, then runs out. I wish I had that energy, to run everywhere like every single thing is filled with great importance and excitement.

I start gathering up all my work from the kitchen table, wondering what I might make for dinner. Did I go grocery shopping? Or will it be another frozen food night? Remembering that we don't have enough money to order for delivery tonight, I'll have to make due with whatever we have in the refrigerator. 

I'm about to head upstairs to my room to set down my stuff, when Matty rushes towards me again, "Veronica, there's someone at the door for you."

It's probably a salesperson, or someone doing a survey. Annoyed, I head to the front door slowly, my feet feeling heavier with each step. Though when I catch the face of the visitor, the heaviness seems to knock me forward and I stumble slightly. What is Jay doing here? I narrow my eyes at him with suspicion, push him forward, step outside, and shut the door behind me. "What do you want? How'd you know where I live?"