Tutor - Part 4

It was now the third week into the first semester. You had been reading the book your Professor recommended to you, but no matter how many times you scanned through it and made notes on the various chapters Plato's theories just weren't sticking. It wasn't that you found the material uninteresting, far from it. Maybe it was the way the paragraphs were written, or scholarly references you had never heard of, you weren't quite sure, but this growing uneasiness and confusion was making you unbearably anxious.

Your first assignment for the course was just a week away and you needed to make sure you had the theories down and unpacked before you could begin to even think of writing an essay on Plato.

Seeing no other alternative you once again turned to your Professor for help. He had just finished an entertaining lecture on Sigmund Freud - one of your favourite psychologists, despite most of his theories being absolutely bat shit insane.

As you walked down the stairs your eyes caught his and he adjusted his thick rimmed glasses to get a better look at you.

"Ah Y/N! How are you? How's that textbook going?" He asked jovially.

"I'm not doing that great," you admitted, not being able to refrain from giving him a sulky look, "I read the book, but was too afraid to report back to you on how I went. To be honest I couldn't understand a word your friend was saying."

Professor Jeong peered down at your visage and seemed worried, he stroked the bristles on his chin, giving him the appearance of a seasoned philosopher, "Hmmm I see." He added sympathetically.

"Whenever I listen to your lectures the theory makes sense, but then when it comes down to reading and making notes my mind is everywhere. I find it so confusing."

The older man gave you an alarmed look, "You don't have dyslexia do you?"

Suddenly, a smile broke out across your lips, "No, I don't!" You rubbed the nape of your neck in thought, trying to order your words into a succinct sentence, "It's not that I don't like reading or find it hard to do, but I prefer discussing theories with others."

The Professor thought for a while, leaving a pregnant pause, "Ah I've got it! What you need is a tutor Y/N."

"A tutor?"

"Yes, a tutor. Like you said, someone you can discuss and explore theories with. Luckily we already have student support services in place for you to do just that."

"I don't mean to cause offence Sir, but isn't a tutor a bit extreme?" In your view, a tutor was only for the hopeless students who were too thick to grasp the concepts on their own. On second thought, that did sound exactly like yourself.

"Well, actually, a tutor can act as a mentor as well. Besides, I'm not saying you need someone full time to help and coach you through this paper, I know you're bright enough to work through this assignment yourself. But a tutor could definitely help with learning the material, say I've actually got someone in mind."

"Oh really?"

"Yes, he's a third year student who did this Philosophy paper, but now he's currently studying Architecture."

"Hmmmm, interesting."

"Quiet, I think he'll be the perfect tutor for you. I'll tell him you're interested."

"Wow, thank you so much, that sounds great."

"How does 1pm at the cafeteria sound?"

"Ah, that's perfect!" You said gleefully, "That's when I have two hours off for lunch."

"Alright, sounds good, I'll flick him an email."
"Thanks Professor Jeong." You felt so lucky to have such a dedicated teacher in your life.

No wonder all his past students spoke so highly of him. He was keenly invested in your education unlike some professors who just showed up, presented and left the rest up to the students.