1

"Ella, Ella dear wake up."

"Oh mum! Let me sleep a little longer, I am tired."

"No hon, you will be late for school."

"Okay mum let me say my prayers."

"Good morning mum."

"Good morning my love, I will be waiting for you outside."

"Okay mum."

Ella dragged herself to the bathroom, still feeling dizzy. She screamed after pouring the first bailer of water on her body.

"Ella, honey are you okay?" Her mother's voice came through, laced with panic.

She complained, "No mum, this water is too cold."

Her mother apologized, "Oh! I am really sorry dear, there was no kerosene left in the stove again after I made breakfast."

"It's okay mum, I will be out soon."

She came out of the bathroom her teeth chattering as she wrapped her body with her wrapper. It was that time of December when weather was very cold. 

She looked at her uniform which was properly laid on the bed by her mum. She could feel her heart jump for joy. It was the last day of school, she was going to collect her report card and with that excitement, in no time she was dressed.

Her mother called, "Ella dear, your breakfast is served."

"Okay mum, I will be out soon, I just want to pack my bag."

Mr Desmond couldn't help but admire his daughter as she entered the room, she was growing to become a very beautiful lady.

To some extent, he was proud of himself as a father. He couldn't afford to live a life of luxury, but he tried to make his daughter comfortable. She was a promising young girl. He smiled and dropped the keg of kerosene he had bought on his way as she greeted him,

"Dad!! Good morning, when did you come in?"

"Good morning, my love."

"Very early this morning dear."

"Oh! Okay Dad, you should get some rest, you have been spending more nights out."

"Sure dear, I will but make sure you take care of yourself and be good for me."

"I will, Dad."

Mr Desmond was a security man at a very popular hotel known as La lounge. He goes out very early in the morning and comes back very late at night or goes out late and returns very early in the morning.

Mrs Desmond sold fruit by the road side to support her husband.

Ella rushed her breakfast because she was very anxious to collect her report card and come back home.

There was no doubt in her mind that she was going to come back home with a gift as the most outstanding student of the year.

She was a scholarship student of The Bells Nursery and Primary School.

She got the scholarship from primary school level to her secondary school level because she was too smart for her age.

At 6, she was already in  primary five. Ella was the perfect example of a genius.

"Dad, would you be going out today?"

"No dear, why did you ask?"

I am happy I will be home with both of my parents, Mum is not going out today either so I will just rush to school and rush back.