7

Anita got to James' office just as he was about leaving.

"James, are you going somewhere?"

"Babe, you got here at the right time. I was about going for lunch break."

"Lunch break by 4:00pm, that's so unlike you." Anita said, looking surprised.

"Yeah, some investors came in today. I have been so busy looking at their proposal, It didn't really dawn on me that I had not eaten until the worms in my stomach started singing Hail Mary." James said and she laughed as he took her hand in his.

They both strolled towards the office canteen. When they got there, he made the order for their meals.

"Two plate of coconut rice and coleslaw, please."

"OK, sir. Meat or fish?"

"Just add shrimps on it and before you serve it, please, give me one very cold bottled water. And lemonade for the young lady over there. Thanks."

After making the order, James went to join Anita who was already seated at a corner of the canteen.

"So, what were you saying over the phone?"

"The poor girl finally moved after four days, you don't know how happy I am. The doctor said it's a good sign and she's recovering very fast."

"That's good. Finally, the girl can return to her parents."

"Why are you making it sound like the girl is a burden?"

"Of course, Anita, aren't you thinking? This girls' parents can accuse you of kidnapping their child."

"James!! Why would you think like that? "

"Why won't I? This is Nigeria, Girl, wake up! Immediately that girl gets better, you had better take her to the station."

"Bring your voice down James, you are creating a scene."

"I am really sorry." He said, beginning to feel sorry for his actions.

"I just don't want you to get into any form of trouble."

"Sorry for the delay." The waitress said as she served their meals, interrupting their conversation.

"It's okay, I will be fine. Thanks for your concern." Anita replied after the waitress left.

They both ate their meals in silence before James finally decided to break the silence.

"Babe, I am really sorry, I don't want to hurt you. It's just that I feel... "

"It's okay, James. Let's not talk about her again. I pray she gets well soon enough."

James let out a really long sigh then asked,

"Are you still going back to work?"

"Yes, I didn't sign out before leaving, I have to go back."

"Are you coming over?"

"No, I am not."

"Are you still mad at me?"

"No. I haven't been home since I got back and I haven't seen Ada also."

"But Ada would understand."

"James, let's not start."

"Okay, if you insist. I have to go back to my work now. Do you need me to walk you to your car"

"No, no, don't worry. We will talk when I get home."

"Okay dear, love you."

"Love you too."

Boulevard of pain जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें