Chapter 6: Dilbaro

Meera and Arjun, unable to see their faces, took 7 rounds around the holy fire to finally complete all the rituals. The wedding was a small intimate one, considering how quickly it had been organized and keeping in my mind Prithiviraj's health.

The couple then took the blessings of everyone who was standing around the holy fire, having the make out whose feet they were touching, only by taking a look at the shoes or feet. For two people who hadn't even seen each other yet, they had some great coordination.

Finally it was the time for the bidaii or the farewell ceremony, ideally it was expected for the bride ball her eyes out, but in this case the bride was a slightly less expressive one, who had mastered the art of containing her emotions, even thought today, she wasn't ready for the marriage that she had already become a part of, she wasn't ready for leaving her house, from where her suitcases had already been packed, she wasn't ready to leave her ailing grandfather, who was sitting on a wheel chair with joyful face giving life to his mundane party. Maybe that's what is life, it makes you do things that you're never ready for.

Slowly the band started playing a morose old hindi song pertaining to separation and the ladies began singing old folk songs based on father and daughters. Meera was tied to Arjun by a rather long cloth, enabling her to go and hug her father as the time had finally come. Cars lined up outside the house, as Meera continued giving everyone a brisk hug. She was a little conscious knowing that she was attached to another person. She quickly hugged her father, mother, aunt and uncle. Cupping everyone's face and cheerfully telling them to stop shedding tears.

Why do they get married if they have to cry so much Arjun thought in his head as he looked on the ground, waiting impatiently for the family to end their 'hour of separation'

Diya quickly came to Avidant and amaya and held their chins with her hands,giving them a loving smile. "Dont trouble your parents too much? But call me if they trouble you okay?" She said with a wink and then whispered to them "take care of grandfather, keeping visiting him, okay amaya? Avi?"

"Yes didi" amaya said hugging her and avidant said popping a peck on her cheek
She then moved to sidhaanth and looked at him, the both of then laughed,they werent accustomed to this emotional setting of being nice to each other and sidhanth was there shedding tears for her farewell, unable to control.

"You must be happy na, now the room is rightfully yours" she said to him smiling excessively to stop herself from tearing up
"Yeah, now you go and dump your shitload of books in jiju's room" sidhanth said choking

"Gadha" meera said as she ruffled his hair

"Tatti" he replied laughing back, engulfing her in an embrace

"Take care of Dadu" she reiterated in his ears "of his medicines and well being, sit with him everyday okay?"
"Dont worry, relax, you have taken care of half of his problems by getting married" sidhanth laughed, he then turned to Arjun whose dead pan gaze was on the ground, desperately wanting to get out of there.
"Jiju" he awoke Arjun from the dead pan gaze "abh didi ki amaanat hamari hui aur dadu ki aamanat aapki" translating to - now our sisters prized possession ie our grandfather is totally our and our grandfather's prized possession ie our sister is totally yours.

To which Arjun, barely visible underneath the dangling flower tassles, simply gave him a polite smile and nodded.

Finally she moved to her grandfather, sitting on a wheelchair, the man must've lost so much water that day, just crying for his granddaughter.

He looked at her expectantly and smiled to her, Meera bent down, making Arjun shuffle to adjust the cloth between them.

"Why are you crying so much? Didnt you want me to get married?" Meera asked him looking up to his eyes, as prirhviraj speechlessly, caressed her head, he gestured her to raise up a little, which Meera followed. Her grandfather slowly removed the netted delicate veil that was completely covering her face to take a good look at her face.