Chapter 9: Baadal pe paon

Meera got back to 'her room', tired she sat on the bed to catch her breath. Suddenly she heard the bathroom door unlock, she turned to see Arjun come out with a towel wrapped around him. She quickly turned away from the sight, mumbled sorry under her breath and went to the balcony. The beautifully large balcony that Meera had decided would be her humble abode. After her interaction with Arjun today she wasnt sure if she wanted any more interactions with him in the future. It had been quite embarassing.
The first time she saw her husband in the room and it was when he was wrapped in a towel! Meera just relaxed on the wooden chair outside in the balcony. She had begun to work after quite some time and although she loved her work she knew it would take her some time to get back to routine under the artificial lights and an upright chair!

As she took a deep breath, she heard a knock on the door, chirpy voices made their way, "bhabhi! Where are you?" The young ishika said aloud. Meera was truly tired right now to get up, nonetheless she stood up, turned that frown upside down and very politely went to take a look.
"Oh bhabhi you're here, okay come on, I want to show you something!" Ishika said pulled her hand.
Meera was annoyed, "uh, what is it?" She asked politely, meanwhile Arjun had left the room.
"Oh come on bhabhi!" The girl said dragging her towards her room, Meera who wasnt in the mood was obligated to not say no.
"Oh look at what I shopped for today bhabhi, these are the shoes I bought, and those are the clothes, see look, arent they nice!?" Ishika began as she showed her fancy clothes pulling then outta multiple bags. Meera was least interested, mainly because clothes and shoes didnt appeal her at all, and here was some stranger whose color choice she was being fed. She politely smiled and kept saying things like "oh wow" "nice" "its beautiful" until she finally got to leave and get back to her room. She seated herself on the chair again to introspect before being disturbed again for dinner by someone. She quickly made her way towards the table. She saw Divya, there by the corner. "Meera! The dinner is supposed to be at 8 and not a minute late. You're supposed to be here by 7.57! Where were you! Okay come quick!" Divya lead her to the table. It was so chaotic, the house was swarming with people but these people lived her. Meera whose house had at most 6 people and who had spent the past few years in a lonely apartment of New York wasnt accustomed to this hustle bustle. Meera went to take a seat as instructed by Divya, unable to find her mind in that chaos. Just so many people talking about so many things, asking her various questions like "how was you day" "where is Arjun" "what did you do today" "when did you get back"
She wasnt accustomed to answering questions or telling people about her whereabouts, it felt too intrusive but the social animal in her ensured that she didnt frown even once. The number of people in the house through out scared her suddenly, so much that she barely had dinner. And apparently no one was supposed to get up until Shantanu finished eating.
Oh god, what rules! This is tyrannous Meera thought to herself as she tried gulping down the one bite that she had been staring at for so long. Finally she rose up with everyone after Shantanu was done and quickly made her way to the room.
She sat down in the balcony again, just staring at the sky. It gave her peace, she took her book and began reading it.
She heard the door unlock and footsteps, naturally it was Arjun. She got up to get herself a blanket, she went on the bed to find two of then lying there but she didnt know which one was used by Arjun who was currently in his walk in cabinet.
What should I call him? Arjun? No that's outta question, he is elder even to jiju, my conscience wont let me! Ugh damn you Indian principles! Mr. Arjun? No too formal. Mr. Goenka? I sound like his assistant, no way! Mr. Arjun Goenka, wait that's too authoritative, ugh! Arjunji? Sounds fine, respectful by age and like not to formal.

"umm Ar-Arjunji?" She said very hesitantly

Arjun heard the demure voice of hers and shook his head in disapproval. Arjunji? So typical, making me sound like I'm an old monk