Chapter 6: Full Moon Ceremony

Joel's POV:

I grinned as I swam through the water at lightning speed. I looked behind me and saw Kyle and Sumi struggling to keep up. I swam faster. I was so happy. Today was the day of the full moon ceremony. Even though I'm a boy and I can't participate in it, I can still enjoy it. We swam all the way back to Oceania. I looked back at Kyle and Sumi. They were starting to catch up to me.

Too late. I slowed down and swam for the gates and swam inside. I swam back to the palace and found my Dad surrounded by guards. "And we're gonna put those decorations over there. We need those sea sponges on the roofs. Dave, put that sea snail slime over there. Smear them on the lights. They'll make them brighter." He said.

"Dang Dad. You got all this down." I said. He looked at me. "Yeah I do. One day, you'll be doing this. It's a good thing you're here. Go find an squid. Get its ink." He said. "Oh I hate those things. They're so slippery." I said. "I know. Aye put the sea sponges on the roofs!" He said, as he swam away. "Wow Joel. Your Dad is really a looker on things." Sumi said. I scoffed.

"It's the full moon ceremony. Of course he's on the lookout for everything." I said. I swam upstairs to my room and got ready for the full moon ceremony. I debated whether or not to decorate my tail like I did last for the full moon ceremony . I shook my head. Nah that's too much effort for just one night. And it took all night to get all that glitter off my tail.

But then again, it looked incredible. I swam downstairs and saw Kyle and Sumi helping my Dad out. "Put some sea sponges on windowsills. Put the oyster shells on there too. Line them up in a pattern. Sponge, shell, sponge, shell, etc." He said. "Guys?" I called. They looked at me. "Do you guys think should I decorate my tail like I did last time?" I asked. They looked at my tail. I did too.

"That's up for you Joel

"That's up for you Joel. No no no! I said sponge, shell. Switch them around." Dad said, as he swam away. "Joel how did you do your tail last month?" Kyle asked. "Kayla did it for me. She used too much glitter and it took me hours to get them off." I said. "So don't decorate it. We need to go get ready." Kyle said. He and Sumi swam out the door. But they didn't close it.

I swam over to close it and Kianna came in. She looked up at me. "Oh sorry." She said. "Oh hey Kianna. Umm I don't think you can be here right now. My Dad's busy." I said. "Who is it!" Dad yelled. "It's Kianna." Kianna said. Dad quickly swam over and smiled at her. "Sorry bout that. I'm busy right now. But perfect timing. Can you please go get some pearls? We ran out." Dad said. "Sure." Kianna said.

"Joel go with her." Dad said. "Uh-" He cut me off with a single glare. Me and Kianna swam out the door and to the gates. We looked around then swam out. I looked around then looked at Kianna. She seemed so calm. We swam around til we came to the ocean floor. We saw anemone and picked oysters from it. I looked up at Kianna. She was busy picking the oysters. "So Kianna." I said. She looked at me.