|26|

AG POV

"Who the hell is that?" My aunt asks me when Billie leaves to take a phone call. The minute my aunt came in, Billie's phone rang. "Well hi to you too." I say.

"Grace, were you kissing her?"

"Since when do you call me Grace, only Abuela calls me that." I realize and she looks down at me. "Who is she?" She asks coldly. "My girlfriend." I answer and she lets out a groan. "God! Grace, what did you do?"

"I did something?" I raise an eyebrow. "How could you side with those god forsaken people?"

"I'm confused. You mean how could I side with falling in love?"

"You love her?"

"You know what? You're irritating me."

"Where's your mother?" She asks. "I'm here, hey Ronnie." My mom comes in smiling. "V, do you know AG's dating a girl?" Aunt Ronnie asks. My mom looks at me questioningly and mouths "She knows?"

I nod rolling my eyes and my mom says "Yeah, I know." extremely awkwardly.

"Why would you let her do that? Disrespect God like that? You're her mother, you should've stopped this." Ronnie tries to lecture my mom. "Okay one, calm down. She's been gay for years, everyone knows about it and we're all fine with it-"

"Even Mama?" Aunt Ronnie crosses her arms over her chest. "Yes, everyone, like I said we're all okay with it, and she's not going to pause her relationship just because one person can't get over it."

"Vanessa, she's grown up in a christian Mexican family all her life, you're just gonna let her enter the devil's lair."

"If you're still living in this world with me, then I must be in the devil's lair." I mumble but the two heard, my mom covered her smirk while Ronnie looked at me with flames in her eyes. Hell, she might be the devil herself.

"Okay, one thing you're not going to do is disrespect me."

"I don't like you!" I exclaim.

"Okay girls, this is getting out of hand, there are much more important things than this. She had a heart attack and I also need to have a talk with her. A serious one."

"You have a boyfriend?" I snark. "Not yet. But this talk is very important, Ronnie, you need to leave and the doctor's going to come in." My mom says and soon Ronnie obeys. The doctor soon walks in with a ugly ass clipboard and lab coat.

"What is it?" I ask my mom. "I'm sorry." She mutters. "For what?"

"Um, Ms. McDaniel, we found something unusual in your scans and it turns out your brain injury from your fall could be the reason for your brain tumor."

"A who?" I am stunned at what I was just told. "I know this is hard news to process, but not all tumors are cancerous. We want to do an MRI first to see if the tumor is benign or malignant."

I put my head on the pillow sighing heavily. "Why is this happening to me?" I ask. "It's okay Anna, you'll be okay." My mom says. "I hate my life."

"Don't say that baby, we're gonna make it through this." She nods. "I'm slowly dying mama."

"No you're not, you're just going through complications."

"I'm fucking useless, I can't do anything anymore." My eyes water. "I'm sorry for not telling you about the basketball thing." She says. "It's okay." I shake my head.

"I'm going to speak with your uncle and deal with your aunt. I'll be back."

I stare at the ceiling again and I hear the delicate voice causing me to look up. "Why are you crying?" She asks, wiping the tear off of my face. "Uh, there's a tumor in my brain." I clear my throat and all the light fades away from her face.

"A who?" I laugh a little. "I said the same thing." I tell her. "Is it cancerous?" She asks. "They don't know yet, they're gonna do an MRI." I answer.

"I'm so sorry."

***

I get in the car and Billie gets in the passenger seat. "You ready?" I ask her, starting up the car. She nods and I drive onto the road. It's been two weeks since my MRI and the results are in today. Billie intertwined our fingers as I drove to the hospital.

I could tell she was nervous, maybe even more nervous than me. My mom couldn't come because she was terrified and didn't want to be there plus my aunt Ronnie was still here, so she had to deal with that.

"I have to tell you something." Billie says. I hum in response and she says, "I don't think your aunt likes me."

"My aunt doesn't like anyone." I tell her. "I'm serious."

"She's homophobic." I say. "Oh. That's- that's interesting. Did she know about us?" Billie looks at me. "No. She didn't need to. She just found out a few weeks ago when she caught us making out." I answer.

"It's my fault." She mumbles. "No, it isn't." I shake my head. "Yes, it is. I should've never kissed you." She starts to get loud.

"Hey, hey, it's okay." I pull over the car. I pull her onto my lap and she puts her head in the crook of my neck. And I get a feeling, this is much more than my aunt. "Talk to me baby." I tell her softly.

"I feel like I just ruined everything. I'm a dumbass for not knowing that you were doing drugs, and I just left, you just continued to do it. It's all my fault, I should've known. I'm an idiot and now you're here and you could probably have cancer." She ranted, looking at me while she was crying.

"Don't blame yourself for anything, you did nothing wrong, I promise. It's me, I hurt you, I forced you to leave, I lied to you. It's my fault, don't tell yourself that." I wrap my arms around her waist pulling her to me.

"I'm scared." She sniffled. "I know, we all are. But I have to get over it." I put a strand of her hair behind her ear. "And I cheated!" She covers her face letting out a sob. I shut my eyes for a second, it still hurts to think about it. "I forgive you, Billie, I already said that."

"Don't you hate me?" She asks. "I could never hate you, don't you hate me for everything, how are you still here?" I ask her. "We're human, we make mistakes, and we forgive each other." She sniffles before cupping my face and kissing me softly but with a purpose.

I bite her lower lip using my tongue to lick where I bit. My hands that were at her waist were now placed on her ass and her hands were finding their way to my neck.

"Okay!," I say when I pull away. "We still have to go to the hospital." I remind her and she sighs. She gets back into her seat not letting go of hands as we continued to go to our destination. We finally arrived at the hospital and entered into the doctor's room. "I'm nervous." Billie muttered.

"It'll be fine." I try to calm her nerves down running my thumb over her hand. The doctor comes in with a look on his face that I don't trust. I don't trust his face, because I can't read it.

"So Ms. McDaniel, me and my team looked and we saw odd br-" Billie cut off the doctor rudely with, "Just get to the point."

"Please excuse her." I tell the doctor as Billie rolls her eyes.

"Unfortunately, the brain tumor is cancerous."

Hi?