THE NEWS

"Charles. Blair." Lily acknowledged her step son and his wife. She was surprised to see Blair sitting along with Chuck after five years. During all the years since Serena has gone Blair never came to this house. Whenever, if Lily met her was in some charity events or if she would visit Chuck and Blair's apartment. Blair never visited or called.

"So what is the news? We saw the post on the Gossip Girl." Chuck questioned Lily. Lily's face had an expression of what are you talking about? And how come Gossip Girl knows about it when even they got the news what? One hour ago.

"Who died, Lily?" Blair questioned directly. She was in no mood to play the indirect question game. She wanted answers right away, good news or bad news. Lily looked at her baffled. She couldn't comprehend what Blair just said. Somebody died?

"What? No. Nobody died. At least not anyone I know of." Lily cleared their doubts. And both Chuck and Blair let loose their breaths which they didn't even knew they were holding back until now.

"But there is something else I want to talk to you about." Lily said. She was looking around the room. Chuck raised his eyebrow asking her what or who is she looking for? "Nathaniel?" Lily asked and Chuck and Blair motioned towards Serena's old room. Lily shook her head and went towards the room.

xxx

Nate was sitting on the edge of her bed. He had Serena & his picture in his hand and he was crying. He was crying. It was like five years back. Lily could feel tears pool in her eyes as well. She takes a deep breath and walks over to him and sits beside him. She pats on his back to console him. After years and years of Serena and Eric's constant anger Lily had finally become that mother which they both craved.

Nate composed himself and looked at Lily's side. He could see the motherly smile asking him to stop and saying that everything will be alright. And in that moment he adored how come this lady whom no one ever thought can be motherly is actually the most motherly of all their mothers.

"I pushed her away this time." Nate says looking back at their picture. Lily understood in a second that he has gone back to blaming himself for Serena's departure.

"No, Nathanial, it wasn't you. It was just the circumstances. You loved her. You could never do anything to hurt her." Lily explains.

"I just wish.. I just wish I could just change everything. I wish could just go to her and tell her I haven't stopped loving her. She is my soulmate. She is everything to me." Nate pours his heart out to Lily, Lily who is his everything's mother. Lily smiled at how innocent he is to say all that to her without even thinking that maybe her, Lily, blames him, Nate, for the difference that has come between her daughter and her.

"Maybe you can!" Lily tells him and he looks at her with confusion written all over his face. Lily takes his hand in hers and pins piece of paper in his hands. When he looks at the paper there is one phone number scribbled there. From the code he can say it is some number from foreign land. "Serena's number." Lily clears his doubts and a faint smile appears on his face.

Lily then bends down to open the drawer and pulls out a journal and hands it to him "Serena's diary, maybe you can find out how much she loved you." Nate smiles and takes the diary from her hand. "Come on, come out. I have news to share it with you all." Lily pats his back and he nods.

"Will she talk to me if I call her?" Nate asks and Lily stops on the edge of the room and turns and nods "She is waiting for you to call her." Lily adds and leaves. Nate takes a deep breath and get up with his gifts, the engagement ring; Serena's diary and her phone number, which he had been bestowed with today and walks out of the room with hope in his hands.

xxx

"Charles, Blair, Nathaniel, the news that I had and wanted to share with you all because you are family. Well as you know that Eric is with Sam since a long time." Lily pauses for a second even though it is been years since Eric come out clean about his sexuality. She still sometimes remembers how she reacted the first time when she got this news. She still till today feel so weak for how she reacted and how strong was is Eric and she smiles. "Well Eric and Sam have decided to get married." Lily continues with a big smile. She was happy for his little baby.

"Oh my God." Blair squeals and claps her hands and comes to hug Lily. Chuck and Nate congratulate Lily and all the four of them are smiling.

"When is the wedding?" Chuck asks looking at Lily.

"Well the dates are yet to be decided but it will be in fall." Lily tells him and others. They all decide that since Eric and Sam are not here they should at least have champagne to celebrate this occasion. They all cheers to the happy couple, who is not here right now, and sit down the couch to drink from their flutes.

"Lily, as soon as Eric and Sam are here I want you to tell them to come down to Waldorf Designs. All their tuxes will be Waldorf special." Blair announces after they all have their third round, Lily smiles at Blair and nods in acceptance.

"And for Bachelor's party and anything concerning alcohol they should consult me." Chuck pats his tie straight and says with a smirk on his face. Blair glares at him and Lily and Nate laughs at Chuck.

"And if he needs any brotherly advices then I am his man." Nate says amidst their laughing. Lily looks at him with adorable eyes. She has little tears welling in her eyes and she thinks to herself what a good boy he is and how lucky is was Serena to have him.

Nate looks at Lily like he can read her mind and he could see that Lily really likes him. He smiles weakly at her and she reciprocates. This is the first time when Nate was smiling and laughing like this. He was really, really happy for Eric and maybe for himself as well. He had Serena's phone number and her diary and his ring which Serena was supposed to give him five years ago.

The timing of all this is surely delayed but he is getting there and with her phone number tightly tucked inside his jacket's pocket he can see, feel hope. And he thinks maybe five years ago wasn't their time but now it will be.

Thank you for reading.

I am looking forward to reading your reviews.

Until next time,

Meg.