THE SILENT CALLS

Nate is sitting in the middle of his king size bed. In front of him are lying his phone, her phone number, his ring by her and her diary. He wants to call her right now but he is nervous. He is nervous about what will he tell her if she picks it up? It was like the day before he proposed her. The only difference being he was living at the Empire hotel suite house and now he is his Upper East Side Town house.

He looks at the ring box lying on the bed and thinks about the day when he proposed her.

It was one of the most difficult days of his life. He was going to propose to that girl whom he has loved since they were twelve years old and was in love with her since they were fifteen. She was his girlfriend for five years now and he was so nervous about what decision she might take. He always doubted if she would ever be ready for such a big commitment? He couldn't sleep that night and kept pacing back and forth in his room until he heard the bell of elevator.

He could hear the sound of her heals louder and louder and he checked his watch to see what the time was. "Shit." He murmured. It was morning and he has been up all night. He ran towards his bed and pretended to be asleep. Serena walked in, kept her bag on the floor and got in bed. She laid in such a way that her back was against the front of his body. She took his hand in hers and snuggled close to him.

Nate pulled her towards him; his head was on her shoulder "Hi" he whispered, his breath hitting her on her neck.

"Hi" she replied back. "I missed you." She said after sometime.

Nate smiled "we were together umm.. What 12 hours ago." He joked and he could practically imagine a frown on her face. He loves her so much, he thought.

"Still." She said again playing with his fingers in her hands.

Nate smiled at her innocence and all his doubts from before existed his mind like they were never there. He could see how beautiful their lives would be together and he could see it clearly. He didn't know what came into him and he without thinking pulled his hand from hers and she turned.

"Will you marry me?" he asked her, plain and straight. He did nothing fancy, no big speech, and just one simple question.

She smiled before saying "Yes" and he kissed her. She answered a simple yes to his simple question.

They spent their whole day like that and there, snuggling into each other, kissing each other and making plans for their future.

He picked up her diary and flipped through pages. She mentioned all their simpler moments. Her diary was all about them. And he could see for how long she was waiting for him to propose to her. He picked up the ring which she bought for him and slipped it into his ring finger. It was a perfect fit. She knew him so well.

He picked up his and dialed her number. And it rang. With the ringing bell his heartbeat too increased. But nobody picked it. He dialed again and still no answer. He looked at his phone's home screen. It was Serena's picture from five years ago. He tried touching her through the screen, he misses her so much. That's when he saw the time; it was ten in the night here which means it must be around three in the morning in London, where she lives now. He hit his forehead and wondered how desperate it was of him to call her without checking the time.

xxx

Nate wakes up in the noon; he had a ridiculously happy smile stuck on his face. He kissed the ring nicely placed in his ring finger and smiled sheepishly. It all felt like fifteen again, the thought of falling in love for the first time. He reached out to pick his phone to check if he had missed anything.