Prologue

The leaves from the trees started to wilt as I stare at them through the clear window. The fragrant early-morning autumnal breeze slipped through the tiny spaces beneath the pane. Today's a great day, I think so. It should be, because it has always been good for me.

This is what I endeavor every time I wake up from my light dreamless sleep in my cozy bed. I am beyond grateful to my parents for entrusting me with this masterpiece by the lake, where I could vividly see the sun setting by the golden hour. They managed to keep their promise even in their afterlife.

A house as spacious as ours is indeed a lonely box for I only live by myself. I wake up and do things on my own, make meals for myself, clean the house- everything! I got used to doing all of these since Mom and Dad died on a car accident. It caused me extreme distress and trauma, but luckily, I was able to move on.

Now, I am enjoying the life of being alone. Sometimes, there's this kind of joy that only introverts like us could understand. We could really appreciate the simple things independently. Silence doesn't bother us, in fact it is our friend. The only companion I have.

After spending a few minutes in appreciating the nature and the astonishing beauty of the glassy lake, I need to work on my hygiene and prepare for work. Shower's not time consuming for me because I just don't like staying in the water for a long period. I hate water.

And after that hygienic routine, I proceeded to my beauty rituals wherein I apply a few make up products  to at least create a glow up. I could transparently remember how my mother would tell me I don't need to do such. She admired the beauty I got from her.

When everything's done, a simple bowl of cereals would be next. That has also been a part of my daily routine. Sometimes, if I am in the mood to stir up while I read some news, a cup of tea or coffee would be at my table. Today's not that day. I'd like to have a quick meal in order to get to my work at once.

Our house is not difficult to leave. I mean, there's nothing that could really make me miss it like other normal people. A lot of memories were created in this humble abode of ours, yet I carry them everyday in my wallet- so there's nothing to miss. The best family picture we had is in my purse. Always.

Moving on, the company I'm working at is a twenty-minute drive from our house. Armidale is not that big so things are easy on the road. For three years, Java Publishing has been my home. I have been working as an editor since I graduated from college. A little trivia, it's the only company I have applied and the good heavens helped me with that.

"Hey Joel!" I slightly opened the window to greet the most hardworking utility officer in our company. He has always been in charge of my car whenever I get to work. Most of the employees drop their cars by the entrance, and Joel drives them to the parking lot.

"Looking gorgeous, Lara!" His response made my heart flutter and cheeks turn to crimson red. I am not into accepting compliments, and it sucks when I receive them. I don't know how to react properly or even think of the right words to say. Sometimes, I would choose to ignore it and let it pass.

After tossing the car keys to Joel, I mooched towards the glass doors of Java. Everybody's smile has melted me. Well, every day. 

My office is on the eighth floor. Getting on the elevator has been part of my routine, for the stairs would surely exhaust me.

"Lara! We've been looking for you!" Pearl came rushing towards me when the elevator door opened. Her eyes looked worried and her hands were obviously shaking.

"Hey. Why? What's up?" I simply responded while I joined her to my office.

"Did you know about the presentation for a Brazilian company?" Wow. That's new to me.