14: Real Deal

She took a deep breath as she put her phone down on the table.

"Yeah.. about that. I'm really sorry I had to show up like this and tell you all about it. You work in Java, right?" How does she know these things? The last thing I remember about Java was my inbox full of mails from my workmates saying I can do it, I can close the deal. What deal? I mean is there any work related idea that they have forgotten to tell me? And how does Joey know about it?

"How do you know about that? I haven't told anybody. Not even Taylor." 

"Oh dear, Taylor has nothing to do with this. It was my plan. I just asked a little help from Lawrence." What? From my boss?

"How do you know them? Are you some sort of spy or something?" My head's not really catching up to everything and I am starting to get dazed.

"No, of course not. I am one of your potential major investors. I want to open Java Publishing here is California." She what? 

"I don't remember having a client named like yours. I handle every single one of all the investors we have, and there's no way that you're one of them." I tried to defend what I know. This crap isn't about the mysterious flight to California.

"You don't know my name because I appeared to be Venice Sanchez on your future proposals. Sounds familiar?" The name really did tickle a nerve inside my brain. "For sure you do because you declined that for three times already."

"I did? Why? And why were you not using your real name?" I kinda want to understand but I just don't.

"Because I'm a celebrity, Lara. I can't be a businesswoman and an artist at the same time, I can't handle such. However, I have a team that's already waiting for Java. You declined because you didn't want to move out of Australia. How can we sign the proposal of agreement if I can't meet you?" All of Joey's statement rang a bell in my mind. But the wonders to how they made my presence here successful still tickles my brain.

"How did you do it? How did you convince me?" I deserve to be enlightened.

*flashback*

"Lara, can you check on these potential clients of ours? Also, the separate file on the desktop contains the list of our pending investors. I want you to study their terms and review their agreement. Make sure to sort out their demands." Mr. Lawrence commanded as he went inside the conference room for a meeting.

That's how my job works. Although I signed up for the editorial, it just happened to be this way. I can't say no to my boss, so I keep on doing what he says. I just lost the most valuable people in my life, I can't lose my work as well. It would be wreck me. 

I started to check the file and there's a good number of investors that's gonna give Java the fame it deserves. There are Brazilian accounts, a few from Asia namely Japan and Philippines, and a few from America. All of them were offering really good, except for this proposal from a Venice Sanchez. It's stating here that they would require the presence of a representative by December this year. Mr. Lawrence would be very busy by then.

Seeing that the proposal really has a good money for the company, I printed it out and went to Pearl's table. I need someone to discuss it with.

"I see no problem at all. The proposal sounds like a closed deal. It's a great opportunity for Java and California's no joke, Lara." She seemed to agree with the paper. It is a great offer, but knowing that the company's going to be very busy by then, I'm afraid on what Mr. Lawrence is going to do.

"There's a problem with that, Pearl. He trusts me so much with all the investors. He sees to it that I handle them all." I began to sort out things for her.

"And?"

"And the deal needs to be done in California. For sure, Mr. Lawrence will automatically give me a go signal for it." The worry in my face became obvious through my voice.

For sure, Pearl have felt the tense I have internally. It all boomed inside when Mr. Lawrence called me into his office, confirming that he wants me to leave for California. Sounds good but as stubborn as I am, I chose to keep it out of my work files.

To my misery, this man seems to be so persuasive and persistent in keeping me on the path I keep ignoring. But I would always say no.

*end of flashback*

"So there really is a Venice.. but how did you get me here?"

"I don't want you to freak out, but your entire company have agreed to drug you and set you up in a flight here." The words that came out of Joey's mouth sounded so believable yet heartbreaking, for I know that the people I have treated like home, betrayed me for this expansion.

"All I thought, everything was magical." I murmured to myself but it was loud enough for Joey to take cover.

"I am very sorry, Lara, but you see- California's a big place and has a lot of opportunities waiting for you! You just can't let that slip away. These papers right in front of us, awaits your signature. All of us have already imprinted ours on it." Joey extended the document and a pen on top of it closer to me. 

An awkward silence followed as I stared at the papers, thinking on the biggest decision I'm gonna ever make in my life.

"Build a life here, with us, but still on Java. We want you here."

"I need you here."

Another voice popped from somewhere inside the vicinity and for sure that isn't just nobody. Every part of me could recognized whom it came from. My heart raged its beating upon hearing Taylor's voice from behind.

As I turned, he stood there, wearing an apricot colored polo and a gray shorts. He looked so simple and the rays of the sun carefully enlightened more of his skin.

"Just call me if you have made up your mind, Lara. But please do know that the entire Java Australia and California wants you here." Joey said with a pleading smile before taking an exit.

"Thanks for letting me use your place." She uttered to Taylor before walking down the stairs.

There's still a lot of food in the table, yet all the things I've learned today makes it so hard for me to process everything. Seems like I can not do things all at once. I stiffened and my nerves are provoking every movement I try to make. But Taylor, rushed to my direction and hugged me.

His eyes were closed yet I could feel like they're gazing at me.

His breath lingers on my skin and injects a satisfying sensation.

"Please stay here. I want you here, with me, so so badly."

------

Dang! This chapter really took a month. I apologize for the delay. 

For sure now you all understand how things happened. I kinda wanted it to be magical but everything should be real HAHAHA 

Thanks for all the reads, votes, and comments! You guys are amazinggg!!! <3