Tripping

"dinnnnnn, beep beep beep..."

the alarm blared its repetitive tone as you slowly woke up. it didn't just start, it must've been going on for a while. you groaned and smashed your palm into the snooze button, pulling the blankets up to your chin, closing your eyes in the attempt to fall back asleep. after a few minutes, yous started to doze off once more but was interrupted by the snoozed alarm going off once more. you turned off the alarm and looked at the time,

"shit!" you exclaimed in sheer panic, you hopped out of bed, rushing into the bathroom you quickly stripped yourself of your pajamas and got in the shower, letting the water and soap from your shampoo wash over you, ridding you of the sweat and food from the night shift before. as long as your hair was washed and the grime was decently removed that's all that would matter. once your hair was clean you got out of the shower and dried off and put on your dress for work. you couldn't believe you slept in for that long, who even sleeps through an alarm for an hour?

not even bothering to dry your hair off, you slipped on your shoes and grabbed your purse, and left. rushing down the stairs of your apartment and running out the doors. maybe if you ran you could catch the next bus just in time so that you would only be an extra 20 minutes late, walking would be 40, so that was out of the question. you got to the bus stop and leaned on the pole, trying to catch your breath after running down the street. this wasn't the first time this has happened, but never this late. oh well, it is what it is, it would just be a decrease from your check. not like you made a lot anyway so what did it really matter anyway? you would just have to take a bit more from the tip jar.

to your surprise and luck, the bus pulled up to the stop right on time. you climbed inside and paid the toll and sat down by the window, leaning against it. you pulled out your iPod, unwrapping your headphones and shoving them in your ears and listening to your downloaded music as the bus drove you off to work. laying your head on the window, it took you every ounce of your being not to fall asleep, you knew that if you did you would miss your stop and would be more fucked then you already are right now. at least the music was loud enough to give you some serotonin.

eventually, the bus stopped in front of the diner and opened its doors. some others got off with you. you walked out with them but pushed past them and headed inside the small local diner. of course, the place was packed when you walked in. you hurried to the back and grabbed your apron and notepad and clocked in. walking back out you tied the aprons strings and began to walk over to tables filled with customers who were waiting somewhat patiently.

"Hello, welcome to Berts', are you ready to order?" you asked, trying to sound as cheery as you could, each family member went around and ordered what they wanted, "okay so 2 burgers with fries, and just a salad?" you repeated the order just to be sure you got it right,

"yes ma'am," the man spoke, you wrote it down and gave them a smile before turned and placing the ticket on the kitchen window, you grabbed some plates that were sitting there and took them to their corresponding tables. we must've been understaffed today because barely anyone had their orders taken. it was so bad to the point where people were walking out from the lack of service.

you rushed around and got everyone's orders as fast as you could without mixing them up and handed the pieces of paper into the chef and bringing the food to tables. repeating this action constantly, and repeating your words each time except for reciting orders to the customers. dinner service was always the worst, but at least you only had to work from 5 to 11 well actually 6:30 to 11 since you were late. there were never really any customers after 10 anyways and the service died down a lot after 9 altogether.

as you got more dishes out to the customer's everything started to die down a bit and customers started paying and leaving. you went around and collected the cash and put it in the cash register and the tips in the tip jar.