January 2020

When I heard about Corona virus from my co teacher for the first time, it was an alien word for me. I forgot the exact date but I was sure it was the month of January 2020. They were really alarmed. They kept on talking that it was like a zombie from a movie. It spread fast. They added that it was silent but deadly. According to them the people who would have this kind of virus would think that it was just an ordinary flu but later on they would have difficulty in breathing and then collapsed. They were also afraid because the epicenter and the place where it all started was in Wuhan, China. In connection with that, our former students were foreigners. This was the reason why we should be more careful than the usual.

When the night came I searched about Corona Virus. I learned that indeed it was very deadly but that time there was no confirmed cases yet here in the Philippines. So I stayed cool and calm. I also read that in tropical places we were safe from this virus because virus do not live long in hot places.

Last 27th day of January, there was the first confirmed case here in the Philippines. She was a foreigner. Her travel history was from Hong Kong, Cebu, Dumaguete, and Manila. That news was like a bomb for us. I felt that our lives were in danger. I was really worried that time because of myself and my job which was ESL Instructor.

Most of the Filipinos were really angry and worry at the same time. They said that the government should banned foreigners from entering the country but the government said that they should follow the president's order about that situation.

I wanted to quit my job that time because I was really worried about my health that time. I thought that I was really prone of that virus because I was teaching foreign students and I believe my immune system was not that strong.

I chatted my older sister in sister and told her about my problem. She just told me that I should pray to God and trust Him so that I wouldn't be scared. I followed what my sister told me. Actually deep inside I didn't want to quit because I love my students and I didn't want to leave them. They added my life that's why I continued my job.

My life was fine after that despite COVID-19. I continued my life uncaring of it. I felt so happy. I didn't just teach them (my students) alone but we also shared funny moments, experiences, and everything. It was perfect. That's one of the definitions of happiness for me. I really love when I saw my students giggle, laugh and smile.

***

Finally I understood what my professor told us before about the reason why he chose and stay as a teacher (professor) though teaching is not that easy. According to him, students added to his life. I didn't understand him first because honestly I didn't like teaching before. For me being a teacher was a boring profession because the teacher should spend for the rest of his or her life in school. From being a kindergarten until the rest of his or her life. Another, the teacher should deal all of his or her students and for me it  would be really stressful.

But those assumptions I have had ended when I worked as an ESL (English as a Second Language) Instructor. I was beyond blessed and forever grateful to God to meet and teach foreign students from June 24, 2019 to March 16, 2020. Though the span or period of that teaching was short due to the pandemic (COVID-19) but I've learned and  experienced wonderful things with my former students. I realized that students indeed added my life because I found my happiness in teaching. In addition, I thought before that a teacher will just teach students but it was not just that way. A teacher will also be a learner from his or her students. So, it was like win-win situation.

***

To my dear students,

     I miss all of you. I am so grateful that God let me meet all of you. I am so glad as well that you were the reason why I learned to love teaching. Though we have different cultures and I was a neophyte but I am so thankful for I gained the respect from all of you.

     I just hope that you will continue to live your lives in accordance with God's purpose for you.

     Until our lines will cross again. Stay safe. God bless.

Your former teacher,
Rhea

***

To Binibining Mia,

     Hello po. You are forever be my favorite Filipino writer. I am so happy to meet you last October 2019 in Cebu City where you had your mini meet and greet. I was really nervous when I met and talked to you. You were really beautiful both inside and out.

     Thank you so much for your advice about taking the path in teaching career. I won't ever forget everything. You were also the instrument in igniting my passion once again which is writing. When I was young, I dreamt to be a published writer. Unfortunately, I stopped that dream because I experienced being insulted and humiliated because of that dream. I would never forget that person posted online saying, "Why you haven't die, Shakespeare?" It was really insulting for me and I really felt depressed about that post. So I stopped that dream.

     But until we met, Binibining Mia. I realized that  even the famous writers, they still have bashers and haters. Well, we cannot avoid that because they are part of the writing journey.

    Thank you so much, Binibining Mia. I am currently writing again for the world. I hope that you will continue to inspire and write.

One of your readers,
Rhea (Plethora Hope)

***

BOTTOM LINE

1. Trust God with all your heart.

2. Surrender everything to God.

3. Do not underestimate teaching or other jobs. When all of us were destined to be born on this world, God already assigned our purpose in living. The bottom line, no matter what are our jobs as long as we obey God's purpose to our lives, there's nothing wrong with that. There's no greater or more essential when it comes to jobs because all jobs are equal just like God's unconditional love for all of us.

4. Just ignore haters or bashers in your life. Entertaining them won't help you. Just focus what you're doing and know your goal or purpose why you're doing that. Do not try to please all the people. Remember that you should please God not them. You should also learn that they (bashers or haters) are part in your life's journey. Even God who is the most powerful and greatest of all has bashers and haters, too. Ikaw pa kaya?

5. During dark times, put in mind that you are not alone. God is with you and He will never abandon nor forsake you. He will use someone as an instrument to let you remember that He is always near for you no matter what will happen.

***
Glory to God!