March 2020 (Part 2)

16th day of March 2020 came. That day I decided or chose to quit my job. The management told us to choose between continuing our job despite COVID-19 or quit . It was a tough decision for me because I love my job but I believe health was more important that time. The COVID-19 cases were rising in our country. I thought that when this pandemic would become worse, I would be stuck in the city and I wouldn't be able to go back to my parents' home. So, I left no choice but to quit it.

Later, I was so down and problematic because a person I've known sent me a message that we could no longer enter my hometown because it was officially closed. I was crying that time because I feared to be stuck in the city. I had no work. So where should I get money to buy foods? I believed going back and staying to my hometown with my parents was the best idea to survive the pandemic. My parents are farmers that's why I could eat there for free just like when I was a kid. I felt hopeless and depressed that's why I decided to sent a message to our hometown's Facebook page. I was so thankful to God that they replied that it was alright to enter my hometown as long as I came within Cebu. The administration of the said page explained that they only closed borders from the other islands. It means that the people from the other islands were not allowed to enter my hometown and vice versa. He told me that Cebu City (that time) was free from COVID-19 that's why it was alright for me to enter my hometown. After that talk, I smiled and was really grateful.

***

On the other hand, I was worried the rent of my room because I didn't have job anymore. I was thinking in advance that  the landlord would demand that I should be obliged to pay the rent for one month even if I just stayed that room for just two weeks. However things turned better and I am blessed because the landlord let me pay the days I've stayed in my house. He was okay that I would pay my rent on April because he understood that I didn't have enough money. The money in my pocket was just enough for the fare of the bus for the next day. I expected that the fare would be doubled from the usual because of the "social distancing policy". The social distancing policy was implemented by the government to keep us safe from the contagious virus. When we walked outside or rode on the public transportation, we should maintain the one meter distance from the other people.

***

I interviewed a jeepney driver about the new policy. (Please bear in mind that when I talked to the jeepney driver, we maintained the one meter gap and we wore face mask.) He told me that the pandemic made his life more complicated and problematic. According to him, he was poor and this pandemic made him poorer. He was also worried about the finance to support his family. The social distancing policy reduced the passenger to ride the jeepney. Before, a jeepney could accommodate eighteen (18) to twenty (20) passengers. But due to the new policy, a jeepney should strictly accommodate nine(9) to ten (10) passengers only. He added that the worst part there was that the owner of the jeepney he operated demand the same rent from him. Despite the tough situation, the owner didn't give him a discount for the rent of the jeepney. I felt sad to hear that thing from him but I had nothing to do with it except to pray to God because I was just an ordinary person.

***

I was very excited the next day came. I was so early when I rode the bus. But then I was really disappointed. The bus driver followed the protocol which was "one seat apart or social diatancing". But later when we were traveling on the province and there's no checkpoint, he let many passengers rode the bus just like before the pandemic happened. I was so shocked because I somehow paid the other seat and my seat because the was more expensive than the usual fare. Passengers were occupying all the seats and the rest of them were standing. It was like just the normal ride before COVID-19 existed. And not just that, the driver didn't cover his mouth and nose with his face mask. He just put it on his chin and then he always spit out on the window of the bus and I was sitting right on his back. I was scared that time. But I've realized I should trust God. I prayed that the driver was not infected with that kind of virus. I was really disappointed because he didn't follow the health protocols. 

When I reached my hometown, I've read the news on Facebook that there's a first confirmed case in Mandaue City. I was not shocked about this news because I heard that there were 37 PUI in Mandaue when I was still teaching there. People in my hometown talked about that news. They were alarmed. They thought that the virus from Wuhan, China was so near in my hometown. They just said that we need to pray to God for protection and trust Him in everything. I also thought that my former schoolmate was a little scared when he saw me and knew that I was working in Mandaue and I came from Cebu City but that's okay because the first confirmed case was only one.

When I almost reached home my younger brother and my mother welcomed me with hugs and kisses. I just noticed that my mother's face was so haggard and stressed. But I didn't bother to ask her because I didn't want her to feel hurt.

When we reached home, they asked about my work. I knew my mother was a little bit disappointed about me because I chose to quit my job. I know she's against my decision. I could feel it. Before coming here, she really insisted that I should not quit my job and I should not be afraid of the virus. All I need is to trust to God. So, I know she's unhappy with my decision but she had nothing to do it since I already decided. I didn't like regretting my decision. She's my mother, so she just supported my decision even if it was against her will!

***

BOTTOM LINE

1. Surrender everything to God.

2. Do not spread fake news. You have to make sure that the news you will share to other people is reliable and authentic. Sharing fake news is just the same as telling lies to others. There are many negative outcome or effects when you are doing this one. So,please beware about this.

3. Be wise and mindful in decision making. In every decision you make, be responsible in terms of commitment.

4. Respect and obey the rules or protocols from the authorities just like you are obeying God.

5. Family is family. No matter what are your decisions in life or mistakes you've done, still your family accepts and loves you.

***

Glory to God!