~ Chapter 4 ~

Y/N was heading back towards the Resistance HQ as she couldn't stop thinking of what Infinite just did and what he said about his past earlier. She couldn't believe that after telling him that everything he did was wrong and ended up being called interesting and then kissed on the cheek. She shook her head, hoping her words got through to him to snap him to his own senses. The doors slid open and she was surprised to see Shadow as he was talking to Sonic.

"Infinite can create virtual reality projections. They have mass and form, but no heart and soul." Shadow explained.

"Virtual reality? So all those familiar faces that were a part of Eggman's army..." Sonic said.

"Replicas. The problem is, they may not be real, but their powers are as formidable as the originals. According to Rouge, Infinite can create unlimited numbers of them."

"So, fight after fight, he can just keep cranking up counterfeits?"

"Exactly. As it stands, there's no way we can win this."

"Of course we can win this! We always do! We just haven't figured that part out, yet."

Y/N smiled in relief that Shadow is on their side. She headed towards them and greeted them.

"Hey! I'm back!"

"Who's that?" Shadow asked, looking at her.

"That's Y/N! The new recruit." Sonic grinned. "She's very cool and a great fighter I have ever teamed up with. She's like a sister to me already!"

"Nah, stop that. But nice to meet you. Shadow, right?"

Y/N held her hand out to him, pretending she didn't know him as she didn't want to look suspicious or ruin the future.

"Yes. Pleasure to meet you, too."

Shadow shook her hand, making her smile. He blushed at how cute she is.

"Hey, Knuckles. How are things going?" she asked, letting go of his hand.

"Things were going well with Operation Big Wave, but then everything fizzled out when that Phantom Ruby kicked in." Knuckles said.

"Going well? More like a complete disaster. And I told you that we should have think more before doing something stupid." Y/N glared at him, making him wince.

"That fake Shadow was created using the Phantom Ruby's power, right? Even if it's a virtual reality projection, it's as strong as the real Shadow." Silver said.

"Rouge, have you found the intel I was looking for?" Shadow asked Rouge who is also in the HQ.

"No, not yet. But I have reports that Eggman's database is located at the Chemical Plant. If we can check that out, we might find something there."

"That sounds like a promising lead. We have to figure out the secret behind Infinite's power and virtual reality. Tails, can you handle this?" Sonic said.

"Got it. I'll take Sonic--I mean, the other Sonic-- with me and head to the Chemical Plant!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Tails and Classic Sonic are out to look for the information on the Phantom Ruby, Knuckles was growing impatient.

"I don't like sitting on the bench, but there's nothing to do till Tails gets back."

"Way to jinx it! Metal Sonic has been spotted in the city!" Amy informed.

"Metal Sonic..." Y/N said, remembering him in her world as she wondered where he is now and if he's okay.