~ Chapter 6 ~

Sonic is facing Infinite as the latter hovers in the air over the edge of a ramp before the Central Tower of the fortress.

"Pathetic little hedgehog. Even with the Phantom Ruby weakened, I still have enough power to smash you into blue jelly. I'll show you how outclassed you really are!" Infinite growled.

"I'm in a class all my own. Time to put-up or shut up, Infinite!"

Sonic runs up and leaps at Infinite.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sonic is in his running stance as Infinite float before him, gesturing him to come at him. Sonic immediately took off after him and Infinite began to fly backward away from him.

"What would you like your epitaph to read? How about 'Here lies the blue buffoon'?" Infinite joked.

"Why not 'Here comes the masked clown'? Might as well make it for the person who needs one, right?"

Sonic boosted himself to go faster and easily got through all the red cubes shaped like an 'X' Infinite created to give him illusions. Infinite created flying circle robots around him to protect himself. Sonic ignored the robots on each side and jumped and spin dashed all the robots that surrounded Infinite. He then ram into Infinite in the stomach three times and landed back.

Infinite was down for a sec but he shook it off as he's still floating and Sonic went back to running after him. Infinite did the same thing as he brought out more illusion traps that are shaped like an 'X' while creating another flying robots around him. But Sonic easily did it again by boosting himself before he's now close to the masked jackal and destroyed the robots and ram into Infinite three more times.

Just as Sonic thought he was defeated, Infinite fully charges up his Phantom Ruby prototype. He is back to full strength.

"You're done for, Sonic. The Phantom Ruby's energy is recharged."

Infinite performs a powerful energy wave.

"Perish, along with your useless friends!"

"Infinite!"

Y/N intervenes in the battle, shooting out her grappling hook at Infinite. Infinite dodges and turns to see Y/N who scowls right back. He blushes.

"Y-You!"

Y/N lands beside Sonic, and both train their angry glares at Infinite.

"My friends got me this far, and together we're gonna win!"

Infinite glares at them and floats back. They all went back to battle once again as Y/N and Sonic runs after him.

"Friends are nothing but a fleeting illusion. You can count on nobody but yourself!"

"Your mask can't hide how sad and lonely you are!" Sonic shouted. "That Phantom Ruby virtual reality of yours is the real illusion!"

"It's true..." Y/N thought as they dodge an even more red cube X's illusions Infinite created as they both boosted themself to go faster to get through them. "When I removed his mask, he look almost sad when he looked at me with those eyes. Sonic's right about that ruby. That one must clearly messed up his mind. Not if we put a stop to this!"

Sonic and Y/N nodded at each other after they made it out of those red cube illusions and boosted themself to catch up to Infinite. Once they're close to him, they jumped and ram into him three more times. They then jumped back and went back into running.

Infinite created purple blast bombs on the ground. Sonic and Y/N immediately dodges them. After a few more boost with the help of Sonic's speed, they got close to Infinite again and destroyed more robots that are around Infinite and ram into him where the ruby three more times.